RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive expansion idea..

Trig0r

So, a friend of mine dropped round his Gen7 the otherday, he had put an SSD in it, taken it into work where it decided that it wouldnt display anything, I stripped it down and had a play but couldnt get it to do anything, so, he's ordered a Gen8 which I'll then bang his drives in and setup for him..

However, this leaves me with his Gen7, no drives and a dead board..

But, could I, with some adapter faffing, use his Gen7 as a drive bay for my Gen8, I've got the P222 which has the external SAS connector on the back, connect that to the drive bays in the Gen7, use its PSU and power button to power that up, then add them to the Gen8...

Would be an ugly way of doing it, but given I'm still mid decision as to what I'm actually doing server wise at home (strip to Gen8 into a custom rig, buy something bigger and retire the Gen8 etc) it could be going into the attic anyway when I get round to dropping some C6 cable from the office up to the attic and setting up the CCTV..

Any thoughts?

So, a friend of mine dropped round his Gen7 the otherday, he had put an SSD in it, taken it into work where it decided that it wouldnt display anything, I stripped it down and had a play but couldnt get it to do anything, so, he's ordered a Gen8 which I'll then bang his drives in and setup for him..

However, this leaves me with his Gen7, no drives and a dead board..

But, could I, with some adapter faffing, use his Gen7 as a drive bay for my Gen8, I've got the P222 which has the external SAS connector on the back, connect that to the drive bays in the Gen7, use its PSU and power button to power that up, then add them to the Gen8...

Would be an ugly way of doing it, but given I'm still mid decision as to what I'm actually doing server wise at home (strip to Gen8 into a custom rig, buy something bigger and retire the Gen8 etc) it could be going into the attic anyway when I get round to dropping some C6 cable from the office up to the attic and setting up the CCTV..

Any thoughts?

Schoondoggy showed how to recycle a N36L/N40L/N54L box at http://homeservershow.com/recycle-a-n36l-for-hp-p222-raid-external-storage-and-sophos-utm.html

At last year's Meetup in Indy I used a N40L as an external storage box for my G8 MS with a P222 http://homeservershow.com/the-icy-dock-5-25-expresscage-mb324sp-b-for-four-2-5-drives-part-3-of-3.html

I used an Icy Dock to run an OS and Data Drives off of the MB but with no MB you just wouldn't have that options -- but with an active PSU you're still good to go as an external box for the P222

• 3 weeks later...