RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
itGeeks

Sophos XG, Good news! MR2 is downloading today.

itGeeks

Sophos XG, Good news! MR2 is downloading today.

It has been posted that one Sophos forum member states that MR2 is downloading today, I can not confirm this at this time because I have my XG VM turned off in favor of using Untangle. Can anyone still using XG confirm this and report back there findings? I am most interested in if Netflix will now work on mobile devices.

Here is the link to the post on Sophos forums http://Sophos XG, Good news! MR2 is downloading today.

psykix

That link just points here :-p

I'd be interested to see what's fixed too...

pcdoc

Though I could only try this via VPN, it does NOT appear to have addressed Netflix.  The Netflix issue was promised in the next major release which is V16 still due out for beta.  I will verify when I get home but I am pretty sure of my results.  As for release notes, have not seen them yet but will try and locate them.

itGeeks

That link just points here :-p

I'd be interested to see what's fixed too...

Sorry about that, I see what I did wrong. Try this link https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/46/p/75947/293900#pi394=1

Though I could only try this via VPN, it does NOT appear to have addressed Netflix.  The Netflix issue was promised in the next major release which is V16 still due out for beta.  I will verify when I get home but I am pretty sure of my results.  As for release notes, have not seen them yet but will try and locate them.

Thanks for taking the time to test, If that's the case it would be great news. Please let us know after final testing from home.

pcdoc

Well as expected, I can confirm it did not change anything.  It looks like we will have to wait for the V16.

itGeeks

Well as expected, I can confirm it did not change anything.  It looks like we will have to wait for the V16.

Thanks for the update. Well that's disappointing :( I just don't understand y Sophos cant publish a 'change log' and 'release notes' Sophos wants us to dig to find out whats fixed and whats new, There are a vary strange company in that everything is a secret. This is just another reason I have chosen to get on-board with another salutation, Having used Untangle before and the new v12 I must say I am extremely happy with it and if you need help there a phone call away and willing to help. Can't say the same for Sophos. I have Luma on pre-order and my thought was to replace my router and WAPs with it and I still may do that, If Luma does not hold up to my standards for gateway protection but everything else works great then I may run Untangle in 'bridge mode' to Luma and call it a day.

Edited by itGeeks

pcdoc

Thanks for the update. Well that's disappointing :( I just don't understand y Sophos cant publish a 'change log' and 'release notes' Sophos wants us to dig to find out whats fixed and whats new, There are a vary strange company in that everything is a secret. This is just another reason I have chosen to get on-board with another salutation, Having used Untangle before and the new v12 I must say I am extremely happy with it and if you need help there a phone call away and willing to help. Can't say the same for Sophos. I have Luma on pre-order and my thought was to replace my router and WAPs with it and I still may do that, If Luma does not hold up to my standards for gateway protection but everything else works great then I may run Untangle in 'bridge mode' to Luma and call it a day.

Glad to hear you are happy with it.  I would expect them to be more responsive on a paid product as that is their core business.  Sophos is extremely responsive when you are using their paid product.  I just purchased two of their appliances and a three year license for the firewall and the end point for 3 facilities and they have been great to work with.  I am very happy to see Untangle change their pricing strategy as that is a better alternative to store bought routers.  Their sweet spot should have been the enthusiast/home crowd as the past pricing was actually quite a bit more than Sophos and in my opinion offered less protection.  Their new version and pricing makes more sense and is a great value for the home crowd.  I would have still been using it if they did not try an hose me last year and wanted to charge me 200+ a month for the protection I needed.  I hope they continue to get many customers and enhance the product as that makes competition which is always good for the consumer.

itGeeks

Glad to hear you are happy with it.  I would expect them to be more responsive on a paid product as that is their core business.  Sophos is extremely responsive when you are using their paid product.  I just purchased two of their appliances and a three year license for the firewall and the end point for 3 facilities and they have been great to work with.  I am very happy to see Untangle change their pricing strategy as that is a better alternative to store bought routers.  Their sweet spot should have been the enthusiast/home crowd as the past pricing was actually quite a bit more than Sophos and in my opinion offered less protection.  Their new version and pricing makes more sense and is a great value for the home crowd.  I would have still been using it if they did not try an hose me last year and wanted to charge me 200+ a month for the protection I needed.  I hope they continue to get many customers and enhance the product as that makes competition which is always good for the consumer.

I agree with you 100%, If Sophos was smart they would take a chapter from Untangle but I don't think that's going to happen because Sophos has made it very clear there not interested in the home market even though they throw us a bone with the free home version that's where the honeymoon ends, No support & broken devices with no hope of return.

pcdoc

I agree with you 100%, If Sophos was smart they would take a chapter from Untangle but I don't think that's going to happen because Sophos has made it very clear there not interested in the home market even though they throw us a bone with the free home version that's where the honeymoon ends, No support & broken devices with no hope of return.

Wow, you really did a full conversion.  You were once an advocate, but no worries I got the fan boy stuff covered and will in.   :D

snapper

So apart from Netflix and lack of live logging, what is wrong with XG?

Not being provocative or anything, but there is a lot of bad-press both here and on the Sophos forums about XG and was wondering if it was all bad?

After all, its human nature to complain when things are wrong, but there must be plenty of users with XG that are working fine and therefore don't need to post in forums?