RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Drive Replacement

StanHD

Hi,

My WHS consists of 2 x 1Tb drives in the Pool.

I have the following report from my WHS S.M.A.R.T Add-In:-

\\.\PHYSICALDRIVE1

Bad Sectors: 29

Pending Bad Sectors: 0

Reallocation Events: 1

S.M.A.R.T Status: Recommends disk replacement

Drive is 66% Used

Failure Predicted: False

This is not the OS Drive.

I have ordered 2 number 1.5Tb WD EARS drives, so that I can replace the "problem" drive, and add an additional drive. Thus ending-up with 1 x 1Tb OS Drive, 2 x 1.5Tb Storage Pool.

I have all my critical / valuable data duplicated as well as backed up locally and to Keepvault.

I have approx 450Gb of DVD/Bluray Rips that are not duplicated or backed up. (I have the originals) I do have enough space to duplicate these if this is advised.

I have BDBB data on a seperate drive.

Any advice on the best procedure to change out the "problem" drive and transfer the data would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

StanHD

Seems to me the easiest process would be to add one of the new drives to the pool to insure duplication then remove the failing drive, closing any open files which will show in the wizard.

Seems to me the easiest process would be to add one of the new drives to the pool to insure duplication then remove the failing drive, closing any open files which will show in the wizard.

Thanks jmwills, the drives are due tomorrow. Providing I can locate some "jumpers" for them I should be good to sort it on Saturday.

I had the same report on one of my 1tb drives. I went into server storage in the console, removed the drive (that will take a few hours).

Then I pulled the drive - added it to the pool and let WHS rebuild the pool.

After that I ran load balance to make each drive in the pool hope equal % of data.

I have replaced all my 1 tb with 2tb drives and it has worked great each of the 6 times.

I would also add that I think it is good to use 7200 RPM drives when you can. I also am a BIG fan of SpinRite. You could undock that drive; place it in an adapter and let SpinRite test the drive.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. It may have seemed a strange thing to ask, but, I have never needed to change out a drive before. Anyway, everything went as it should and I now have:-

1 Tb Drive with OS (legacy)

2 x 1.5Tb Drives (new)- Storage Pool.

1x 1Tb Drive Backups (This is the suspect drive and will be used as the Local Keepvault Drive. As everything is also backed-up to Cloud Storage)

1x 0.5Tb Drive (legacy) for BDBB & WHS Backup.

I think I may have read somewhere that once there are 3 drives in the Pool, the data is moved from the OS Drive? This hasn't happened (yet) any ideas?

Or maybe I imagined that :unsure:

Otherwise everything is fine.

Not sure about the three drive rule you speak of for v1. I do know that in Vail you can select the option to remove the system drive from the pool which makes it important to keep a couple of 160 gig drives around.

Not sure about the three drive rule you speak of for v1. I do know that in Vail you can select the option to remove the system drive from the pool which makes it important to keep a couple of 160 gig drives around.

If you have some drives laying around, sure, but at the price of drives today I wouldn't be worrying too much about using smaller ones for the system drive. So you leave 90% of a 1 TB drive unused? Does it really matter if you only paid $100 for it?

BTW, I'm also a huge SpinRite fan.... Go Steve! :)

The three drive thing comes from the logic of how DE works. It is not automatic but basically has to do with duplication. WHS does not use the primary drive if there are three or more drives "unless" they are full and does not use the primary drive for duplication. That does not mean there will not be any data on it as data is not automatically get moved off. In the perfect world, if you built your server from scratch with three drives and you always left enough free space that it would not have to use your primary, it would not. Hope that helps clear it up.

The three drive thing comes from the logic of how DE works. It is not automatic but basically has to do with duplication. WHS does not use the primary drive if there are three or more drives "unless" they are full and does not use the primary drive for duplication. That does not mean there will not be any data on it as data is not automatically get moved off. In the perfect world, if you built your server from scratch with three drives and you always left enough free space that it would not have to use your primary, it would not. Hope that helps clear it up.

PC Doc, that makes sense, I thought I had read this somewhere, I wasn't sure if WHS would migrate the data.

Thanks for the info