RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
cocksy

Backing up the hypervisor / host

cocksy

Hi All,

I'm trying to work out a free / cheap backup solution for my hypervisor host (Hyper-V Server 2012 R2), and am struggling a bit. I've looked at a couple of programs (VEEAM and a few others) and they offer free versions that can back up VMs, but nothing seems to be able to backup the bare-metal host.

I'm fairly sure this can be scripted using powershell and the wbadmin command, but I've not looked into this, or even the best way to schedule this from the command prompt / powershell in hyper-V server.

Are there any apps that can be installed on the host and controlled GUI remotely from a client to do this? Or am I out of options as I'm looking for cheap / free and using a free "no frills" server?!!

Cheers,

dsegel

I just use PowerShell to export the VMs and don't worry about the host. You can rebuild a Server 2012 R2 server and import the VMs and be back up and running in just about as much time as it would take to restore from a bare metal backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drashna Jaelre

does wbadmin work on hyperv server?  

If so, you can use that.

cocksy

Yeah, I understand that it's fairly easy to reinstall the host but I'd rather have a backup to be honest!

I'll do some investigation into wbadmin - I'm fairly sure it's on hyper-v server.

Ideally I'd like to be able to do it from a client with a nice GUI, but it's not looking like thays going to be an option.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ShadowPeo

I am with dsegel. I find it quicker and easier even on the multi-failover and redundant systems I work on professionally to simply rebuild the bare metal box. I have been working on a powershell script in fact to do just that. Basically throw in the Disk (in my case a USB) walk away, have a coffee, come back and there is a new server running, joined to the domain etc.

Having said that (I do not think I am under a NDA, I do not even know when the feature is going or if it has been released, I was told first half of the year but that was a while back) but VEEAM are working bare metal backup into the backup and recovery suite (again not sure if I will use it but, its good to know its there) it may pay to look at that again, I cannot recommend it highly enough, I have it on my equipment personally and several large clients with over 5000 users (in total, not at each site) using servers protected and backed up by VEEAM.

Drashna Jaelre

wbadmin is the command line utility for the WIndows Server Backup feature. But ironically, all the GUI really does is to create a default profile for you and set up a scheduled task. That's all it does....

But this should work: "wbadmin start backup -backupTarget:T:\ -include:C:,D: -systemState -allcritical -quiet"

T: being the backup destination, and C:\ and D:\ being the drives/volumes used for storage. 

cocksy

Thanks for the inputs. I'm guessing there is a way to exclude file types from the wbadmin scripts... I'll do some digging!

I have to admit I'm a complete newbie to hyper-v and I'm just using it at home on a home server so learning this as I go along!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk