RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Protect yourself against encryption-based ransomware

itGeeks

itGeeks

Protect yourself against encryption-based ransomware

This is a very serious problem and growing everyday, Are you protected? If not now is the time to find out how you can better survive if such an attack should happen to you. Synology has posted a nice article on there website, Have a read https://www.synology.com/en-global/solution/ransomware

Ransomware is also the reason I scampered for protection a little over a year ago. I have ESET Smart Security on all PCs, including WHS2011.

The personal firewall is a pain at times to work with, especially on the server with multiple users accessing multiple services. But I suppose it's a very small price to pay to have protection.

ShadowPeo

Interesting article, there is one thing on there that makes a whole load of difference but most people do not do it. Have accounts for end users that only have access to what they need, not to everything and obviously separate accounts for each person. Personally I have separated not only my own user data and the Admin functions (as you should) but my backups run under a different NAS user again, just to limit possible damage.

Also one that is not directly mentioned there is if possible do not utilize SMB protocols unless they are needed (I am sure AFP has similar issues but I have never looked at it). Where possible I transfer data in the case of VEEAM backups over SCP, Backups and Sync between devices utilize other protocols. In fact I only really use the SMB protocol for the "last mile" to the clients. SMB in my experience is one of the most common attack vectors for something getting either into the network, or once it is in, trying to spread. Usernames/Passwords do alleviate some of this, but as soon as someone connects and is authorized, boom the ransomware has access. Some of the worst I have seen have a delay in them before they start wreaking havoc.

itGeeks

Ransomware is also the reason I scampered for protection a little over a year ago. I have ESET Smart Security on all PCs, including WHS2011.

The personal firewall is a pain at times to work with, especially on the server with multiple users accessing multiple services. But I suppose it's a very small price to pay to have protection.

Have you had a chance to checkout the new free end-point offering by Sophos? It provides free protection for up to 10 Windows devices and includes a management console. I am using it and it works great, Check it out.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx

As of now this offering does not support mobile devices but rumor has it that its coming...

• Like 1
itGeeks

Interesting article, there is one thing on there that makes a whole load of difference but most people do not do it. Have accounts for end users that only have access to what they need, not to everything and obviously separate accounts for each person. Personally I have separated not only my own user data and the Admin functions (as you should) but my backups run under a different NAS user again, just to limit possible damage.

Also one that is not directly mentioned there is if possible do not utilize SMB protocols unless they are needed (I am sure AFP has similar issues but I have never looked at it). Where possible I transfer data in the case of VEEAM backups over SCP, Backups and Sync between devices utilize other protocols. In fact I only really use the SMB protocol for the "last mile" to the clients. SMB in my experience is one of the most common attack vectors for something getting either into the network, or once it is in, trying to spread. Usernames/Passwords do alleviate some of this, but as soon as someone connects and is authorized, boom the ransomware has access. Some of the worst I have seen have a delay in them before they start wreaking havoc.

You make some really great points, I do the same as you for the most part. Most users uneducated will only setup one user account on Windows, NAS, ect. and give it admin rights and call it good. This is not good practice as an admin account should only used when needed. Ya its a pain in the butt because every time you turn around something needs admin rights to update or install but that's the point, You don't want your devices to be a run-away train with free rights to do what it wants when it wants. We need to be in control of our devices. Another thing we can take away from all this is BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP as in at least 3-2-1- This will be your strongest defense, My family and I have several Synology NAS and we use the built-in Backup tools to backup to each other daily on a schedule, This gives us all great peace of mind should disaster strike.

Edited by itGeeks
  • 6 months later...

Have you had a chance to checkout the new free end-point offering by Sophos? It provides free protection for up to 10 Windows devices and includes a management console. I am using it and it works great, Check it out.

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx

As of now this offering does not support mobile devices but rumor has it that its coming...

I am using Sophos, great service the unified console. Especially remote installation giving the user the right Url, the end install is automatically added to the unified console administration.

Although is a huge resource hog, when needed is great. I partnered it with Comodo Firewall. This is my last Win in the house untiI don't migrate the primary to Linux.. Windows will be just for console gaming and Skype (until is not released a good snap package)..

Sophos is the only one compering to Norton-Eset-Trendmicro, who DETECTED the ransomware. This example wa releated to the Locky variety .

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk