RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
hermanpeckel

N54L PSU/New Case

hermanpeckel

I recently came home to my beloved N54L as dead as a door nail. It turned out a power surge zapped the PSU. A quick disassemble and fit of a standard ATX power supply confirmed it was just the PSU that had died.

I jumped on eBay and found a suitable replacement (or so I thought). The main power connector was 4 pins short of the original one. I plugged it all in and to my surprise it booted and works fine. One thing though - the fan is constantly on full. I assume it's the CPU fan. When I plug the normal ATX PSU back in, the fan operates as it should.

Anyhow, my questions. Is there any way I can mod my PSU to suit? It has a 4 pin connector on it that is currently unused. Or, rather than hunt around and hope for another suitably sized PSU, maybe I could just transfer the N54L parts into a standard computer case and PSU. There are some cheap ones about for $50 that look like they could do the trick.

Does anyone know of any caveats I should be aware of? 

Thanks in advance.

hermanpeckel

Cheers Schoondoggy!

I'm struggling to decide what to do. If I buy another PSU it seems I will have to do some modifications to it. I do like my N54L, but I don't really want to spend the weekend with it. So it seems it's either buying and modifying a case, buying and modifying a PSU, or chucking it out and buying a new NAS.

I can't complain. It has served me well.

hermanpeckel

Thanks Schoondoggy! I jumped on to newegg but it appears that PSU is not available on the island I live on. C'est la vie. Anywhere else it is AUD$110 plus. Probably too much for a 5 year old box. All good. At least I know my options. Thanks for your help!!

Edited by hermanpeckel

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Notbugged
      By Notbugged
      I recently bought a used 1240 v2 but can't get it to work properly in my Microserver Gen8.

It POSTs fine, but 9/10 times fails to boot FreeNAS (returning "panic: unrecoverable machine check exception" followed by some seemingly CPU-related error messages), and the one time it managed to boot it crashed from the slightest load.
      When I run Memtest with the 1240 v2 in it, it constantly reboots at test #6 "Block move".
      With a 1265L v2 in it it runs flawlessly - FreeNAS boots without an issue and there are no errors in Memtest.

I contacted the seller believing the CPU was faulty, then he told me that he had the same issue getting in to work in his Microserver Gen8, and that the solution was to use another PSU.
      I haven't gotten around to try another PSU yet, but I find it a bit weird that the PSU would be the issue, because surely 13A @ 12V (156W) should be enough to power a 69W TPD processor.
      I even tried disconnecting all the drives to leave as much power to the CPU as possible, to no avail...
      And on top of that I've seen loads of posts from people having upgraded to 1230s, 1240s and even 1270s with no mentions of upgrading the PSU.

I'm running the lastest BIOS (2018.05.21) along with upgraded cooling (Akasa K25), so those shouldn't be the reason either.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?
    • cakthy
      By cakthy
      I have a Raidmax case that I suspect is messing with my motherboard, and I generally don't care for the large size of it. So I will be selling the case if I can find a new one.
      What I need:
      Something $70 or less (I could go more if needed)
      Black color
      Side window
      Micro ATX size
      Handle/possible to mod for a handle
      I was looking at this one: E-2007 to buy. So what do you think? Any cases that you know of that I could buy?
    • sleepkitty
      By sleepkitty
      Before some many choices of case that I had, I've finally decided to go with the PC-T3-i5-4200U, but the official website does not give too much info about this beautiful case.
      http://www.minicase.net/minipc-i5-4200U-T3.html
      So, if there is out there any PC-T3-i5-4200U owner that is reading this topic, I've a few questions for you friend, and I'll really appreciate any answer that could be provided.

These are my questions:
      How many space for rad (or fans only) I will have in the space behind the case?
      How much thick my rad in the top can be with fans without touching the fans at the front? (The ones that are perpendicular with the Motherboard).
      How much tall can my Reservoir be with Pump included? I don't wanna drill holes in such a beautiful case.

As I said, any info provided would be really appreciated!

• Tuckshoprn
      By Tuckshoprn
      I have a syba Si-PEX40064 4 port sata card based on marvel chipset installed in my n54l. Bios sees it and can boot from it, but when it is installed, ubuntu loses the onboard network card. Using ifconfig-a lists it as enp3s0 and disabled, without the pcie card installed it is enp2s0. I have tried manually enabling it using ifconfig enp3s0 up, this says it is active, but it does not talk to the network. Any ideas appreciated.
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      The HPE ProLiant Gen10 MicroServer compared to the Previous Gen8 and N54L/N40L/N36L MicroServers

The Gen10 and Gen8 are the same dimensions and can be easily stacked