RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N54L PSU/New Case

hermanpeckel

I recently came home to my beloved N54L as dead as a door nail. It turned out a power surge zapped the PSU. A quick disassemble and fit of a standard ATX power supply confirmed it was just the PSU that had died.

I jumped on eBay and found a suitable replacement (or so I thought). The main power connector was 4 pins short of the original one. I plugged it all in and to my surprise it booted and works fine. One thing though - the fan is constantly on full. I assume it's the CPU fan. When I plug the normal ATX PSU back in, the fan operates as it should.

Anyhow, my questions. Is there any way I can mod my PSU to suit? It has a 4 pin connector on it that is currently unused. Or, rather than hunt around and hope for another suitably sized PSU, maybe I could just transfer the N54L parts into a standard computer case and PSU. There are some cheap ones about for $50 that look like they could do the trick.

Does anyone know of any caveats I should be aware of? 

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Schoondoggy!

I'm struggling to decide what to do. If I buy another PSU it seems I will have to do some modifications to it. I do like my N54L, but I don't really want to spend the weekend with it. So it seems it's either buying and modifying a case, buying and modifying a PSU, or chucking it out and buying a new NAS.

I can't complain. It has served me well.

Thanks Schoondoggy! I jumped on to newegg but it appears that PSU is not available on the island I live on. C'est la vie. Anywhere else it is AUD$110 plus. Probably too much for a 5 year old box. All good. At least I know my options. Thanks for your help!!

Edited by hermanpeckel