RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie Question

Methen

Question: What all can be done to make a home server (private) and secured for example is it possible to hide the static ip address?

Are you trying to make the system not seen by other machines on your network, or you don't want it seen on the internet?

Are you trying to make the system not seen by other machines on your network, or you don't want it seen on the internet?

Not seen on the internet.

Not seen on the internet.

Yea, just follow usacomp's advice, and don't use the remote access feature. You can also go to your internet router and remove any forwarded ports that may have been configured automatically. You can also disable UPnP on your router.

Yea, just follow usacomp's advice, and don't use the remote access feature. You can also go to your internet router and remove any forwarded ports that may have been configured automatically. You can also disable UPnP on your router.

Will that hide my static ip?

Nothing will hide your static IP, but I have to ask, is this an internal or external static IP address you mention? If external, there is really no need to have one.

Nothing will hide your static IP, but I have to ask, is this an internal or external static IP address you mention? If external, there is really no need to have one.

Most likly it will be a external one I will most likly be going through at&t if they get uverse set up in my area i am simply planing ahead

I do not know what type of static ip they offer.

Again, you DO NOT need an external static ip address unless you doing something extremely sophisticated there. Services such as No-IP and others will take an external dynamic address and refer it to their servers every 15 minutes allowing you to use a common name such as methen.com and it will always relay that DNS name to your current ip address.

Again, you DO NOT need an external static ip address unless you doing something extremely sophisticated there. Services such as No-IP and others will take an external dynamic address and refer it to their servers every 15 minutes allowing you to use a common name such as methen.com and it will always relay that DNS name to your current ip address.

I see so I can use a plain old dynamic ip address then thats good

I am new at this stuff right now iam boneing up on some info so I can be better prepared when I do get a home server up and running

what other programs besides No-IP will also do it ?

Edited by Methen