RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Micron new single 16G RAM availble. Possible to work with Gen8 micro?

azazjjyjjy

Micron released new RAM: DDR3 1.35v/1.5v   UDIMM ECC  16G 

You can find detail information here:  www.micron.com/resource-details/2a4b941d-f5f2-4dcd-aea7-1b9b95672bdd

I live in China and I found someone selling this RAM on Taobao, is it possible to work on Gen8 micro?

Those are dual rank modules and it is the first 16GB module of any kind (UDIMM ECC) I have ever seen. Having two of those would be similar to having 4 "normal" modules but in only two sockets. We know that Intel E-1200 v2 series CPU supports dual rank 8GB modules, but the spec says nothing about any kind of 16GB modules. Probably because they didn't exist before. My guess is that it would work but I am afraid the only way we can know is if someone tries it.

If you did try it I am positive a lot of people here would like to know about it!

Edited by sunefred

Theoretically dual rank DIMMs act like two single rank DIMMs. The question is, is a slot and a rank the same thing to Intel? These may work, but the board and BIOS need to be able to support it.

I dont imagine it working as the chipset supports 32Gb but over 4 slots, not sure how it'd respond to having all of that RAM in 2 slots but you never know, it might have a max RAM of 32gb but that might be full stop rather than divided by number of slots...

Be nice if someone did try it as that'd answer my question as to keeping or replacing the Gen8 with a custom build...

That part is dual-ranked, so each of those DIMMs is roughly equivalent (electrically and electronically) to a pair of single ranked DIMMs. So the chances are reasonably good that it can be made to work.

Before they can end up working, they have to become available to buy; and I cannot find the part number listed anywhere, nor is a module of that spec available from Micron's crucial.com site. So I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. This could easily turn out to be vaporware.

Before they can end up working, they have to become available to buy; and I cannot find the part number listed anywhere, nor is a module of that spec available from Micron's crucial.com site. So I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet. This could easily turn out to be vaporware.

I talked to Crucial support and these are Micron parts that are available for system builders, whatever that means. But they are not Crucial manufactured parts according to the representative and therefor not available through the store.

Crucial is owned by Micron, maybe Micron has other suppliers for memory than Crucial?

Edited by sunefred