RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
kylejwx

DNS of guest clients in Hyper-V

kylejwx

Windows 7 guests in my Hyper-V server are currently getting DNS from my home Asus router. I want them to get DNS from my Domain Controller.

Is there a way to configure this to happen with the Hyper-V switch or something? I know I can go in and change it manually in the guest os, but I want it to be applied by default to the entire VM so that the client can join the domain while it is being deployed.

Can I point my Asus router to get DNS from my Domain Controller? Will that created some kind of weird loop?

Drashna Jaelre

Does your router let you specify DNS servers for the internal NIC? 

Eg, where you'd put in the internal IP address (192.168.x.x , 10.x.x.x, etc), there should be an entry or three for the DNS. Place the server's iP there, and it should hand out that IP address to the client systems.

kylejwx

Ok, I will try this. I have changed the default DNS on the router to OpenDNS before so I guess this would be the same idea.

Drashna Jaelre

In that case, definitely works. :)

And if you really want to keep on using OpenDNS, you can.  On the server, open the "DNS" console (Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> DNS), right click on the server name, and select properties.  Open the "DNS Forwarders" tab.  Add the OpenDNS IPs there. This is what the server uses to get DNS info when it is unable to find anything locally (eg, when you don't have entries in the DNS server, *and* it's not cached locally in the DNS server), and it goes out and grabs the info and caches it. 

This is how you are really supposed to set up a domain, in fact. :)   All the clients get the DNS from the servers and just the servers get it externally. it also can help with query speeds as a lot of entries do get cached. 

• Like 2

kylejwx

Ok, So I just realized that my router has a place to put the dns server both under LAN and WAN.  What's the difference?

jmwills

Ok, So I just realized that my router has a place to put the dns server both under LAN and WAN.  What's the difference?

The WAN DNS would be your provider's DNS servers or some you know that will not change, like Google, which is 8.8.8.8  ISP providers tend to change theirs without notice.

The DNS setting can be left blank as that service is "carried over" the DHCP address you receive from your ISP.

• Like 1

kylejwx

So I set the WAN DNS to OpenDNS servers and set the LAN DNS to point to one of my Domain controlers which is 192.168.1.250

Both DCs have static IPs and their DNS are set to the loop back address.

Should this work?

I feel like DNS and or active directory are not synchronizing properly.