RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Data Vault x510 - GPT?

HaakonD

Soooo - hello all - I stumbled across your site trying to find a way of using 3gb+ drives in my pair of ageing x510s - currently running WHS v1 and therefore stuck in MBR tedium...

Should I give up and buy some modern hardware or is there a suitable operating system I can install on the x510 to allow GPT and therefore larger disks?

thanks in advance for any insight / advice offered!

Haakon

There is a hack to allow you to add drives larger than 3TBs for WHSv1's Drive Extender pool. But this is a hack... and essentially is adding the disk thte pool, grabbing some volume info, repartitioning (wiping) the drive and recreating it as GPT. 

The entire process is very hacky, and there are definitely issues with this, especially if you have to reinstall...

However, WHSv1 has not be supported for several years and is no longer receiving ANY security updates. If the system is exposed to the internet at all, it is a security risk. 

You should definitely consider upgrading. Windows 7 -10 may be a better idea in the long run. 

THough, on the plus side, you could grab something like StableBit DRivePool or Drive Bender to handle the pooling. This way, you can continue to get the pooling functionality. 

Windows 7 / 10? Surely the bloat would grind the poor little box to a halt? I felt sure there would be some Linux distro that could be installed - are there any?

Bloat is a pretty strong word here. In fact, I'd even say that it's pretty unfair. 

That said, the E5200 with 2GBs of RAM (assuming that you haven't upgraded the hardware) should definitely be up to Windows 7 or 10.  And if you're really worried, there are a lot of services that you can disable to reduce load on the hardware. And you could disable the themes and other "features" to make it more lightweight.  And this really isn't hard. 

Though, yes, you could definitely install linux on it, if you wanted. And mos distros probably can be installed. 

The better question here, is do you have a VGA cable for the system? If not, it makes everything a lot more difficult. It's not exactly cheap, but the guy making these still is selling them:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14074

Thanks that's really helpful - I didn't realise there was a way to hook up a monitor - that would make life a lot easier.

So here's what I'd like to get - 4 x 3TB WD Red drives in raid array - is it worth spending $100 on the kit and using my existing x510 shell or should I but one of the various HP microservers available for not much more? Especially given I'm in the UK and the VGA / PS2 adapters would have to come from the US.

thanks for the help

That's really up to you, honestly. 

I had a EX495, which is the same hardware as the X510, and it was a workhorse, and very reliably.

That said, IIRC, the Gen8's use ECC memory, which is always a good idea, especially when it comes to a storage server (as the memory is the most likely place that data corruption will occur). 

So, it really depends on what exactly you plan on doing with the server. 

• 2 years later...