RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is ESXI not free?

cooa99

Hi guys,

I downloaded and installed the HP ESXI 6.0.0 Update2 iso to the internal SDcard slot of the Gen8

Then proceeded to download and install the vsphere client for windows and logged in.

I get presented with a popup saying " Your Evaluation license will expire in 60 days"

I thought esxi is free?  or have I downloaded and installed the wrong file?

Thank you very much.

I am currently playing around with the Gen8 till I decide of what my final plans are.

So wanted to play with a non a virtualized Windows environment + a  couple of VM's (freenas,xpenology,unraid,nas4free)  using ESXI.

So Thinking out loud, my plan is to 

1) Install Windows to the SSD using only a portion of the drive

2) format the remaining portion of the drive to be used/seen by the ESXI currently installed to SD card

3) Install the different vm's under ESXI

I should then be able to use the HP BIOS boot menu to set the boot order to SSD for windows boot or SD for ESXI..

I hope this is possible? or is there a better approach ?

cheers

You can try installing ESXI on a microsd, and windows on SSD, but you will need extra drive for vmstorage, and you cannot run both.  You can try partion ssd for vmfs and windows, but that's not good idea in my opinion.

Obviously you cannot run ESXi and Windows at the same time.

You can try installing ESXI on a microsd, and windows on SSD, but you will need extra drive for vmstorage, and you cannot run both.  You can try partion ssd for vmfs and windows, but that's not good idea in my opinion.

Obviously you cannot run ESXi and Windows at the same time.

ESXI already installed to microsd. So sticky part is can I partition a drive into NTFS & VMFS? or can ESXI use windows type partitions as a data store ? .... or else that will mean buying an additional SSD?

Windows Server with Hyper-V sounds more useful to you than ESXi.

I have a few vm's that are created using vmware fusion/workstation which give me the ability to run from mac/windows. This is why I lean more towards ESXI since i should be able to just import those vm's (i think ?). However I will give Hyper-V a try (from the windows install) since I have never used it before

I have a few vm's that are created using vmware fusion/workstation which give me the ability to run from mac/windows. This is why I lean more towards ESXI since i should be able to just import those vm's (i think ?). However I will give Hyper-V a try (from the windows install) since I have never used it before

You can convert a VMware VMs to Hyper-V. Hyper-V just sounds more useful for you since you want to have a Windows host as well which Windows Server with Hyper-V will allow.

I am just starting to read more into windows server products as I am more of a mac/ little windows7 user at home and windows7/unix at work.

So do I install hyper-V and virtualise Windows 7 or Go with Windows 2012 R2 with built-in  Hyper-V ?

Go with Windows 2012 R2 with built-in  Hyper-V ?

This option because you said you wanted a non-virtualised Windows install + a bunch of VMs.