RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Micro SD Slot to working... maybe?

Dwain Pipe

I've bought a 128Gb Micro SD card with the thought of putting ESXi on it for some VM playing.  I've put the card in the slot on the motherboard, got a nice click as it locked home.

I've rebooted my Win 2012 R2 Essentials but windows is not seeing the card at all.

I've been into the Storage Array setup and it does seem it either.

Is it possible I've got a faulty card or is there a step I'm missing.

Thanks,

Craig 

If I remember correctly, the micro SD card slot is treated like a USB drive, so you will not see it in SSA. When you say Windows is not seeing the card, where did you look for it? Are all of your USB devices working properly, drivers loaded? 

Thanks for the rapid reply.

I bought a new USB memory stick at the same time, I've plugged that in the external and later the internal USB ports and got the usual sound and pop ups in windows.

The micro SD didn't make the sound in Windows, no pop up, nothing in windows explorer, no new drives seen in File and Storage Services volumes.

It's like it's not there.

It's like it's not there.

It is a known issue. Anything which restarts iLO like an update or running the Service Pack ISO and IIRC the HP SSA utility causes the MicroSD card reader to go into a weird state where it doesn't detect any cards. You have to shutdown and unplug the microserver for a few seconds to fix it. Plug it back in again and it should be working. Edited by GotNoTime

would just a normal reboot fix it from this weird state?

I'm away from the server and can't access the iLO from outside my LAN as I've not setup VPN and port forwarding etc.

would just a normal reboot fix it from this weird state?

No. You need to completely cut power to the Microserver to reset it. Restarting the OS or the iLO controller doesn't fix it. No idea why HP don't or can't fix this issue but it has been a problem for ages now.

OK, I'll give it a full power down cycle when I'm next with the server and report back.  It will be a couple of weeks time but it's important for the community to report back as I have found when searching for our answers.

Appreciate the help.  Thank you.

Capacity should not be an issue in a PC/Server. Formatting maybe an open question, I have found some 64GB and 128Gb micro SD cards that do not like NTFS format.

Some Android tablets and phones have 32GB limits. I believe that is a file system license issue. 

I'm curious if the reader will work with 128GB microSD anyway

No guarantees that it is compatible. If it was a just an ordinary SDHC reader then I'd say the chances are high. It is the fact that iLO seems to interface to it in some weird manner that makes it uncertain. HPE only say it is a MicroSD reader but I've used SDHC cards successfully. SDHC is limited to 32GB and you need SDXC cards but the basic protocol should be the same. It just gets formatted as ExFAT by default instead of FAT32. It is the high speed UHS modes that possibly may not work.