schoondoggy

HPE Proliant ML10 Gen9

HellDiverUK    99
HellDiverUK

No, it's a server that's usable in a home environment.  iLO and it's bizarre interaction with the B120i controller was a total waste of time for most people, and led to the obnoxious fan noise issue.

Basically, HP have produced a TS140/T20 style machine, and I can only congratulate them for it.

It looks to have 5 standard 3.5" bays (3 removable, 2 where floppy drives classically go), and 1 in a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion bay at the top.  

It uses the Intel GPU and Intel's AMT for remote access, again the same as the other Dell/Lenovo/Fujitsu server of that style.

Only one NIC.  :(

All the details can be seen in the "self-service manual" available from HP's site.

Edited by HellDiverUK

TLN    7
TLN

6 LFF drives though. Looks like you can easily pack it with some extra SSD if using additional controller.

schoondoggy    588
schoondoggy

I point out the items it does not have, because these are things I would expect to be included in a Proliant Gen9 HPE server. Many forum members are setting up home labs to educate themselves on servers, operating systems and virtualization. The features I list as missing are useful tools for working with HPE servers in a data center. Unfortunately, looking at the specs, the ML10 Gen9 does not currently have support for ESXi or HyperV. I am sure the ML10 Gen9 will be popular and will meet the needs of many users.

• Like 1

GotNoTime    219
GotNoTime

Slightly odd hardware configuration. Only a single gigabit Ethernet port but it has two Display Port sockets on the back.

It uses another Intel workstation chipset so it only takes ECC RAM like the older ML10s. 6 SATA ports but this time it is just the standard Intel SATA controller with the option of Intel RST RAID. No HP Dynamic Smart array firmware/drivers. This does mean vSphere won't support RAID on it but it wasn't really a good idea anyway.

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

No, it's a server that's usable in a home environment.  iLO and it's bizarre interaction with the B120i controller was a total waste of time for most people, and led to the obnoxious fan noise issue.

Basically, HP have produced a TS140/T20 style machine, and I can only congratulate them for it.

It looks to have 5 standard 3.5" bays (3 removable, 2 where floppy drives classically go), and 1 in a 5.25" to 3.5" conversion bay at the top.  

It uses the Intel GPU and Intel's AMT for remote access, again the same as the other Dell/Lenovo/Fujitsu server of that style.

Only one NIC.   :(

All the details can be seen in the "self-service manual" available from HP's site.

At first I thought - you're partially right in that it's kind of like the TS140.  Then I looked at the QuickSpecs PDF.

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04922962

The TS140 had better thought out drive bays; this has all of the drive-mounting of a cheap Inwin case.  Power supply has been cheaped down, too.  Slot configuration isn't as good. The TS140 has a much better fan setup, and the optical drive, while basic, is standard equipment.  There's isn't an iLO, just AMT (as long as the Xeon CPU is the configuration you buy), and unlike the TS140, it appears there's no official support for an optional RAID card (the TS140 supports a ThinkRAID hardware (with cache) controller that is the Lenovo-firmwared equivalent of the LSI 9261-8i).  So I'd probably rate it like a Dell PowerEdge T20.

Which, in the end, makes me ask "Why?  It does pretty much none of the things I'd buy an HP server for, even a budget one".  Despite some complaints about the B120i, the ML10v2 and the Microserver Gen8 run rings around this in terms of features.

No iLO --no sale.  That's pretty much my absolute minimum "It's what makes an HP an HP" or perhaps better said "It's the one thing that above all else makes HP stand out from every other manufacturer in the budget server space".  I hope $299 only the MSRP, because we've already seen the ML10v2 with a Xeon for $329, and for $189 with the Core i3, and that's a much better bargain, even if the CPU and RAM are older.  The only benefit of this I see is upgradeability to 64GB of RAM, so I guess you can make a budget workstation, if you add a budget-level workstation graphics card.

Edited by LoneWolf

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

I point out the items it does not have, because these are things I would expect to be included in a Proliant Gen9 HPE server. Many forum members are setting up home labs to educate themselves on servers, operating systems and virtualization. The features I list as missing are useful tools for working with HPE servers in a data center. Unfortunately, looking at the specs, the ML10 Gen9 does not currently have support for ESXi or HyperV. I am sure the ML10 Gen9 will be popular and will meet the needs of many users.

Agreed.  Calling it a Gen anything appears like a selling tactic.

Without iLO, Intelligent Provisioning, or the ability to migrate from an HP Dynamic Smart Array controller to a (supported) hardware Smart Array controller, this looks like someone tried to build a bit taller Microserver, and then stripped most of the options that made it great, or, designed a budget workstation board and then stuck generic-inexpensive-PC components around it but designed it to look nice.  I think it may have some uses, may even sell well, but I hope people don't buy it thinking they're getting a Camry only to find they now own a Yaris.

tezray    9
tezray

Looks nice to me I bet if they go cheap it will only be the pentium model that does

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LoneWolf    156
LoneWolf

One other note:  From what I've seen so far (to echo SchoonDoggy), it's not that HP just doesn't mention ESXi or HyperV --they explicitly *do not* support it on this box.  The videos I've seen from HPE/Coffee Coaching regarding this device speak to the intention that this only be a physical server; that means if you call HP for support and you're running a hypervisor, you won't get it.

So, if you want a Server 2012R2 Foundation box, using RAID-1 off the SATA controller, I guess this will do it.  If you want even Server 2012R2 Essentials, I'd be moving on up to the ML10 v2 or higher (the ML10 v2 QuickSpecs show VMWare support) --though one has to think that the ML10 v2 is going to be replaced by the ML10 Gen9 if you go by the nomenclature, so the ML10 v2 may be fire saled to clear it from the channel.

Edited by LoneWolf