RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Hyper-v linux owncloud

tezray

Hi, I have been trying to setup owncloud within linux mint. I have looked everywhere for a guide that works YouTube googling etc but they seem to be a bit out of date and I get stuck at installing owncloud after doing mysql and apache etc. I was wondering if anyone here might have a guide that works it doesn't matter which linux version I use I just want to be able to walk into the house and backup pics on my phone and missus phone. I have seen already made owncloud vms that have Ubuntu and owncloud which you then change passwords etc but I really don't want to put any money details into a website

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ugh. 

Seriously.  I gave up on OwnCloud.  Every time there was an update, I'd have to wipe and start from scratch, because for whatever reason, it would break everything. 

Not to mention, that it recommends not using PHP 5.4 but it ONLY installs that version, and if yo utry to install any other version, it seems to outright break, as well. 

I'm not a linux sys admin, so my skill and knowledge is limited. 

Though, if you would rather use CentOS, this is what I've used: 

http://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/centos-how-tos/install-owncloud-8-on-centos-7-rhel-7.html

And if you want to back up photos, I've switched to allowing Emby to do this, as they've added the option recently.  And Plex supports this as well. 

And these options are MUCh easier to set up, and may work better. 

I've been using Bittorrent sync to do automated backups of phones to a folder with subfolders for each device on my server. Can't remember whether the it's the default behavior, but I have the mobile apps set up as an actual backup rather than sync, so a deletion on the device won't remove it from the server. I had considered trying owncloud, but when they removed windows support, that idea pretty much went out the window for me. I'm not a complete linux noob, but some things are much more trouble than they're worth when there's several viable alternatives. Also second Drashna on using Emby, although I only use it to monitor the shares for viewing.

I agree with Shindigg here.... dropping support for Windows was short sighted, and narrow minded. 

The technical reasons for doing so were ridiculous and could have been easily worked around (I say that with absolute confidence.... because the solutions WERE ACTUALLY POSTED IN THEIR BUG TRACKER). I still feel that this was done because they didn't want to support Windows in their enterprise environments. 

Though, I am a linux noob. I know enough to get started, and my google-fu has gotten me far, but it's not worth the hassle of it breaking EVERY TIME THERE IS AN UPDATE.... 

Though, BitTorrent Sync is another great way to go, as well. 

Also if you really want a cloud based solution, check out Pydio.

Ok I completely missed the appliance section after googling more I have it up and running with tweaks in Hyper-v but was wondering about the updating process also mapping my main hard drive to store the photos. Looks like it is not worth it so not going to bother tweaking anymore. Thanks for the other suggestions that is exactly what I need so I will have a play with each one and see what is best.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk