RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
abpostelnicu

Upgrade to NTEL Xeon E3-1230V2 on Microserver Gen8

abpostelnicu

Hello,

I found a good deal for an used E3-1230v2 for aboud 100pounds, is it any good in my Gen8 with the stock heat sink? I don't plan in installing additional fans. I use the workstation for mainly nas and web server, a cloud solution based on ownCloud.

THX

Edited by abpostelnicu

tezray

I am hopefully looking at getting the same cpu tonight. Looking around it seems to be OK. Some people disable a core or two which brings it down to 35w some people disable the turbo on it but then I saw they later just ran it as is I plan to run as is no cooling only problem I have found is the server being much louder but it seems they have raid cards which I think are causing the problem so can only find out once it is in the server. I want it for esxi passthrough hdmi to TV for Kodi and running some vms like I want Linux so I can setup own cloud too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

abpostelnicu

tomorrow i will install the E3-1240v2 ordered from ebay for 200$

einsteinagogo

really depends what your going to do with it, and whether the NAS OS, is Multicore aware or multi threaded.

Higher Clock speed may be better!

abpostelnicu

It's openmediavault that's a gui for Debian. The e3 has higher clock speeds, and also two more cores that helps a lot when scaling php processes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MarkC

I have an E3-1230 V2 in my gen8 with the stock heatsink and it works flawlessly and is very fast. It makes a phenomenal difference over the stock Celeron and pentium cpus.

It gets hot under 100% utilisation when all 4 cores are used but that's to be expected, and it is unlikely you will ever stress the CPU to that level on a continuous basis. For what you will be using it for, you should not experience any issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

abpostelnicu

Totally agree with you there have been 4 days since the install of 1240v2 and it works lovely. Max temperature till now was 58degrees and it stays at a constant 38.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brenrich101

Did you have to do anything special to get the new Xeon working? I bought a 'working' 1230v2 on ebay, but can't get it go on either of my Gen8 Microserver's. It tried to boot, but fan shuts off immediately and the light on the front flashing red quickly.

Looking on the iLO logs it says power failure, but it must count for something that I can get into iLO. Boots fine from the stock G1610T...

Thanks,

Brendan

abpostelnicu

Do you have the latest bios?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

brenrich101

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, one has the 11/02/2015 (think it should be 02/11/2015?) and 06/06/2014. As far as I can tell from HPE, that is the latest. Can you confirm?

Thanks again.