RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
SouskeAizen

bought a hp mediasmart ex470

SouskeAizen

Hello all. I bought a mediasmart ex470 on ebay for $60, it has the COA on the bottom for WHS (I would assume v1 with this vintage) it does come with 2 blank hard drives and no restore disks. my understanding is this server has no disk drive and no vga output. can anyone help me with getting this server setup. I would hate to have bought a paper weight. 

thanks very much, 

jmwills

Did you get the install disks?

SouskeAizen

No there were no disks. Is there a way to get them? Or burn a copy?

Thank you,

jmwills

Legally, the Software should have come with the server, if available. It may be hard to find a copy.

SouskeAizen

Well, legalitys aside in regard to the secondary market. Whs 2011 is available for purchase on eBay etc. With the limitations of the hardware in mind optical drive ect. How would I install it?

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

jmwills

The best I remember, WHS 2011 is x64 only and the Media Smart servers were x86. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Shindigg

IIRC the ex470 has a 64-bit single core sempron, but only comes with 512mb of ram stock. To run 2011 you're at minimum gonna need to bump up the ram to 2gb. After that this guide will help with the installation. http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2011/04/how-to-install-windows-home-server-2011.htmlFinding recovery discs is a pain. I could help you out if it were the 49x series but the 47x series uses a soldered on flash chip as part of the restore process where the 49x uses PXE booting methods, so the software for the 49x would be useless. Short of lucking out and finding physical discs or finding a source for an iso, your best bet would be to go the 2011 route. I don't think hp will be of much help either, but it might be worth a shot.

SouskeAizen

Well that doesn't look too bad. I think I can handle this. Does this server support a 4gb RAM chip. Or is 2gb the maximum?

Shindigg

From what I can tell online it does support a 4gb DIMM but the price of a 4gb dimm of ddr2 is fairly high even used. Also the stock single core will most likely choke if you plan on doing any transcoding with Plex or the like, and IIRC you can only put up to a dual core in the 470's, and that may require a bios upgrade, which would mean a VGA cable. I just want to ask, what are your needs and expectations of the server?

SouskeAizen

well I have been using a dell poweredge 2950 for a few months. it is a media server and backup server. it works great but the noise and power usage is becoming a bit of a problem. especially with summer coming in a few months. A/C plus a giant server will hurt my wallet. 

in short I am looking a SFF replacement for that monster server. I understand that is vastly under powered. but my hope is that it will play tv shows movies etc. running plex with several roku's