RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Remote access issues

jwolfera

So, the other day I did somethings to my server that I needed to install Whiist to remove some bad links from the front page. The homeserver.com address was working fine the other day. I was able to log in and get a file that I needed for work. Today I needed to log in and show some photos, but it wasn't working. So, I came home and tried again and the homeserver.com address is now taking me to my router log in page. Is there a way to completely reset IIS to default or is this even the issue? Please help me, I don't want to have to pull my server off the rack in the laundry room and restore it (frankin build).

Yeah that stuff is all done. When I run the remote site check in the tool kit, I get this...

Checking Website: "RemoteAccess"
Checking path: "c:\inetpub\remote"
FAIL: File c:\inetpub\remote\robots.txt does not exist.
---------------------------------------------------------
Checking Website: "PublicLanding"
Checking path: "c:\inetpub\home"
FAIL: File c:\inetpub\home\bin\WHSCommon.resources.dll does not exist.
Checking Website: "Welcome"
Checking path: "c:\inetpub\upnp"
PASS: Website Welcome files are ok.
PASS: End checking Windows Home Server website files......

Is this normal

Ok, I have done a server restore and am still having the issue. I have dug a little deeper. It seems to be when I go to the site from my network the site tries to log me into my router. But if I use my phone I can get to the site just fine. Does this make any since? I have gone through and reset the router and re did all the port forwarding again, but am still having the issue. Any thoughts?

JR

I think I have it figured out. It looks like either a router firmware update or my ISP has blocked local loopback. I have been reading that there is a local fix for this about editing the host file, but I am unsure of how to do this. Anyone done this?

Ok, so I read the article and it looks like Road Runner here in Ohio is using OpenDNS as it's DNS server. I did reinstall the connector software and still having the local loopback issue, but it is something that I can live with now that I know what the issue is.

• 1 month later...

I know that this is an old post but I want to share what I learned because I passed the blame to someone that didn't cause the issue. I just put in a new router to upgrade to gigbit. With the new router in place remote access site works. I think it had something to do with a Netgear firmware that was pushed. So if you are having this issue and you have a Netgear router, that might be the cause.