RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant ML10 V2 vs HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8

abpostelnicu

Hello,

First of all i'm very new to the forum and to this kind of domain, i'm just a home user with some technical but limited background in server configuration, i'm a software engineer, and recently i've bought a Gen8 with 4gb of ram and G2020T cpu. On it i've spent around 200euros. Last day i've seen that at local shop they are selling ML10 V2 with G3240 and 4GB of ram for 120eur. As i bought online the gen8 from the same store and i'm still in the grace period i can return it without no question asked and for the money difference i can buy some ram

From the start i must say that no matter my decision i plan to upgrade the cpu to a xenon but as i've seen the xeons for ivy bridge platform are more expensive than the ones for haswell. So my question is what are the main differences between these two server and does worth the trade.

My plans for the workstations are mainly:

1. ans with openmediavault

2. virtualization, as far as i know ml10 is not on esxi's compatibility list.

Thank you, and i appreciate your help.

If space isnt a problem the ML10v2 is the better machine

Intel C204 Chipset Socket 1155
1x PCIe 3.0 x16
2x DDR3 unregistered ECC DIMMs - Maximum 8GB per DIMM for a total of 16GB
2x SATA III 6Gbps on HD bay 0 + 1
2x SATA II 3Gbps on HD bay 2 + 3

1x SATA II 3Gbps for ODD bay
2x Front USB2 ports + 2x Back USB2 ports + 2x Back USB3 ports
200W PSU

Intel C222 Chipset Socket 1150
1x PCIe 3.0 x8 but with a x16 slot
1x PCIe 3.0 x8
1x PCIe 2.0 x1 but with a x8 slot
1x PCIe 2.0 x1 but with a x4 slot
4x DDR3 unregistered ECC DIMMs - Maximum 8GB per DIMM for a total of 32GB
2x SATA II 3Gbps for ODD bay 1 + ODD bay 2
2x Front USB2 ports + 2x Back USB3 ports
350W PSU

Edited by Shonk

If space isnt a problem the ML10v2 is the better machine

Intel C204 Chipset Socket 1155

1x PCIe 3.0 x16

2x DDR3 unregistered ECC DIMMs - Maximum 8GB per DIMM for a total of 16GB

1x SATA II 3Gbps for ODD bay

2x Front USB2 ports + 2x Back USB2 ports + 2x Back USB3 ports

200W PSU

Intel C222 Chipset Socket 1150

1x PCIe 3.0 x8 but with a x16 slot

1x PCIe 3.0 x8

1x PCIe 2.0 x1 but with a x8 slot

1x PCIe 2.0 x1 but with a x4 slot

4x DDR3 unregistered ECC DIMMs - Maximum 8GB per DIMM for a total of 32GB

2x SATA II 3Gbps for ODD bay 1 + ODD bay 2

2x Front USB2 ports + 2x Back USB3 ports

350W PSU

Hello thanks for the advice so let me see what I understand so I can have a 5 hdd raid array plus a disk for os?

Does it also come with the brackets for the extra discka or do they have to be bought separately?

If Microserver is enough for you I'd go for it: that's a small capable box.

It can hold four 3.5" drives and have extra space for extra 2.5" drives: you can easily plug one in drive connector and use it for OS.

ML10 is like a traditional PC.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Microserver to something, but I wanna install more RAM, more drives, more PCI devies. If you're not running into those issues I'd stick with Microserver.

If Microserver is enough for you I'd go for it: that's a small capable box.

It can hold four 3.5" drives and have extra space for extra 2.5" drives: you can easily plug one in drive connector and use it for OS.

ML10 is like a traditional PC.

I'm looking to upgrade from my Microserver to something, but I wanna install more RAM, more drives, more PCI devies. If you're not running into those issues I'd stick with Microserver.

And it's less expensive and it's more likely to last more since its Haswell. Also does the m10v2 come with the 4 cages for the disks?

And it's less expensive and it's more likely to last more since its Haswell. Also does the m10v2 come with the 4 cages for the disks?

I don't know about the cages, may be two, but likely four. But you will need to open the case and probably use a screwdriver to install the disks. It's way easier on Microserver though.

Haswell is a bit better, but that's not a big deal, in my opinion.

But: the ML10v2 is cheaper, V3 CPU is cheaper, you can put faster CPU there. Sounds like a better choice if you have space.

Yes definetely space ain't an issue since the server will not be kept inside the house but in the garage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't necessarily agree that the ML10v2 is hands-down a better machine. There are pros and cons.

The Microserver Gen8 is a true Gen8 server. This means it supports Intelligent Provisioning, and HP Smart Storage Administration right from boot with no media. The Microserver has removable drive sleds. And it has a dedicated iLO port.

The ML10v2 has more expansion slots and is a bit more flexible for storage upgrades, but not much. It has a higher end CPU, but both are upgradeable (thought it's easier for the ML10v2). It does support more RAM, which can be a big deal.

If the features of the Microserver (aside from size) matter to you, you may also find the HP Proliant ML310e Gen8 v2 is the best of both worlds. It has all of the best features of each, and has the same tower the ML10v2 has.

Edited by LoneWolf

Yes definetely space ain't an issue since the server will not be kept inside the house but in the garage.

How about power consumption?

If you have space, don't mind sound noise(it's garage, who cares), may be look into bigger servers?

Best bang for a buck is E5-2670 CPU's (~70$ for CPU) and while it's older model it will be way faster when Haswell in ML10.  RDIMM cost two times less then UDIMM, you can buy 32Gigs for $100.

I'm debating between selling all my stuff and getting myself one of this, but I live in small rental studio. If I have my own garage this would be no question to me.

To get this right can I fit a e5-2670 v2 in the microserver gen8?