RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sophos UTM... What is it actually called now?

Trimble Epic

So, I used to have a home license for Sophos UTM 9... 

I can see the license at myutm.sophos.com  ... it still exists, but it appears to have "ended" on 2016-02-01.  I was under the impression that these licenses auto-extend, but I haven't actually been running the UTM for a while, so it hasn't phoned home..

Is the home license still applicable to UTM?  When I look at the Products listing of Sophos' main website, it looks like they have XG Firewall, SG UTM, Sophos Home, Sophos XG Firewall Home Edition, etc...

It would seem SG UTM is still the name of the product we know as the old Astaro Firewall, but It looks like they're trying to push home users over to the XG Firewall Home Edition...   

I'm confused.. I'm ready to spend some money on some new hardware to run their UTM again, but I won't pull the trigger until I know I can get the license back up and running...

Just create a new license, and import it and you'll be back up and running. 

And there is Sophos UTM (Home Edition), and Sophos XG Firewall (Home Edition). The "edition" is just the licensing level. 

Sophos UTM is based on Astaro Firewall. 

Sophos XG Firewall is based on CybeRoam firewall. 

• 4 weeks later...

I went to Sophos and redid my Home License.  That seems to have worked.  That was a couple weeks ago.

...So, I finally built a new box to dedicate to being a Sophos UTM... it's a PCEngine's APU2C4 (4g ram, 3 intel NICs)

This week, I managed to run the install and get Sophos UTM 9.4 onto the device... It's up and running as 192.168.2.100, as expected.  I am able to connect to it using my laptop hardwired and IP manually configured as 192.168.2.1..

Here's my concern - Using the WebAdmin interface, I started going through the setup, put in my license file - which it recognized just fine - but in the following screens, all the features started telling my my license didn't cover them... web filtering, firewall, etc.. all no-go.  Is this something new with their licensing?  or is it possible that it did this because I ONLY had the internal NIC connected to my laptop? 

I'm wondering this because just before the screen that asks for a license file, it asks which NIC should be internet facing, and the dropdown menu is NOT showing any of the NIC's.... I had to click the box to configure internet later.  I suspect that might have caused this...

Any thoughts?

I think I'm going to run a VM with 3 nics and install on that to see if it does the same behavior...  It would suck if I can't get a full home license.

Edited by Trimble Epic

It should cover them, but individually, at least.

If it's not, then you may have grabbed the wrong one. 

There are several spots to generate licenses. Check the "IP Addresses" section under licenses. If this is not limited to 50, then you may have grabbed the small business or generic trial one.

Specifically, you want this one:

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

I'm wondering this because just before the screen that asks for a license file, it asks which NIC should be internet facing, and the dropdown menu is NOT showing any of the NIC's.... I had to click the box to configure internet later.  I suspect that might have caused this...

If it's not showing this, then the NICs may not be compatible/supported.  A VM may be a good idea at this point. 

This is what the process *should* look like:

https://drashna.net/blog/2014/09/installing-sophos-utm/

I believe all three NIC's are the same...  and the first one is working (to connect me to the WebAdmin UI), so I would suspect that all three should work the same...   

......also, other users of the APU2C4 have made it work.. so I'll also go ask them ;)  I was basically asking here because of the licensing issue...  I'm hoping this is an instance where software has encountered an error, but doesn't have a proper error message for it, so it displays the wrong error msg.. (i.e. ending up choosing default in a select case logic structure)

Edited by Trimble Epic

Doh, I tested with a VM and it behaved exactly the same way, in-as-much as it didn't show any NIC's to setup the external connection after asking for the license file...

...however, I did re-download my license file from myutm and now that's working.  It seems I uploaded the old file?!?? ...  but the newer file has the renewed home license in it, so it's ok.

Still, I'm going to have to manually figure out how to configure the external NIC since it didn't set up correctly during the wizard.. .sigh.