RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

BDBB New Version Available

jam3ohio

• 2 weeks later...

I have never used BDBB and I have a question.

Currently, I shut down PDL and WHSBackup and use RoboCopy to copy d:\folders over to my esata-attached Mediasonic Probox. The Probox is NOT part of the drive pool; it's my nearline backup storage. It's all taken care of by a Scheduled Task that runs every night. I also do a manual backup to a 2TB Caviar Green in an external dock, which is then taken to my office & swapped for another to be brought home for the next backup.

My question is, would BDBB give me anything that my current strategy doesn't?

Thanks.

My question is, would BDBB give me anything that my current strategy doesn't?

That's a great automated backup strategy you have there, and would make a great blog post (hint) for others wanting to do the same, but don't have the technical chops to do it on their own. BDBB won't be able to be as automated as that. But it's super-convenient for those who want to do basic backups without much fuss.

For me, it's good enough to manually run BDBB once per week every Friday night. I have two backup drives which I rotate between the fire safe in my house and at my friend's house. Each week, I mount the drive as a backup drive in my WHS machine and then manually run BDBB. I then unmount the drive and put it away. My Lenovo D400 has drive caddys which make it simple to hot mount the backup drive.

As far as the new version of BDBB, the new option to set the NNN value on the "No backup done in the last NNN days" warning for each PC makes it totally worth upgrading. I have one notebook which I use for travel only 3 or 4 times per year. The rest of time it sits in a closet. With this new setting, I set it to 90 days so I don't have to constantly log into the Console just to click on "Ignore this warning" and remove the red light on my D400.

• 1 month later...

That's a great automated backup strategy you have there, and would make a great blog post (hint) for others wanting to do the same, but don't have the technical chops to do it on their own. BDBB won't be able to be as automated as that. But it's super-convenient for those who want to do basic backups without much fuss.

For me, it's good enough to manually run BDBB once per week every Friday night. I have two backup drives which I rotate between the fire safe in my house and at my friend's house. Each week, I mount the drive as a backup drive in my WHS machine and then manually run BDBB. I then unmount the drive and put it away. My Lenovo D400 has drive caddys which make it simple to hot mount the backup drive.

As far as the new version of BDBB, the new option to set the NNN value on the "No backup done in the last NNN days" warning for each PC makes it totally worth upgrading. I have one notebook which I use for travel only 3 or 4 times per year. The rest of time it sits in a closet. With this new setting, I set it to 90 days so I don't have to constantly log into the Console just to click on "Ignore this warning" and remove the red light on my D400.

I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your experience, it's good to hear feedback about what people like and what they'd like to see improved or implemented in the future. :)