RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Window

xPETEZx

What backup window have you guys configured for your clients?

At first I was under the mistaken assumption that you could set a different window for each client.

As this is not the case, I am struggling to pick a window that will actually allow all my clients to backup.

Once the backup window is open, do the clients backup when load on the system is light?

Or is it based on the server load?

I am thinking about essentially making the backup window 24/7.

There any downsides to this?

I have 1 client that is on 24/7, so ideally I wanted this client to backup overnight.

The rest of my clients are usually on during the evening.

One client is a work at home computer so on during the day.

I have tried putting PCs to hibernate instead so they get woken up to backup, but the issue here is that they dont seem to return to hibernate once done. So in the morning they are just running.

Interested to hear how you guys all setup your backup windows.

Cheers

Let them sleep, not hibernate.  They should go right back to sleep after the backup.  Ideally you would want backups to occur prior to start of business or in your case, the nightly surfing routines.

Ok, will try sleep, see if that works better :)

Anybody know the exact conditions need to be met before a backup starts?

For example, if I set the window to include the nightly browsing/gaming sessions, is the backup going to run even if I am mid game?

A backup run while an intensive CPU process is happening will slow down not only the backup but the processes in action.

Yes, thats exactly why I am asking.

Is the backup going to run if something high-system load is running?

Ideally I would like to set the backup window to cover all hours of operation of my clients. Which would probably be 24/7.

Before I do that, I want to be sure that it would not run while I am gaming for example.

In your case for that one machine, set the client to only be backed up early in the morning.

I dont think you can set individual client backup windows?

I changed it for one client, but on checking it also affected the others.

The naming of the titles also suggests this is by design.

When you select a client, the top title is named "COMPUTERS NAME Tasks", while the bottom pain is called "Computers Tasks"

Suggesting the top pain effects that specific client, while the bottom pain affects all computers.

I just tested again and tried changing different times for 2 clients, but each time it just affected them all.

I thought I remembered you could change it for just one.  Either way, just set them all for an early morning backup.  Once the initial is made, the differential backups don' take very long.  Trying to remember if the service is using Volume Shadow Copies or not.  If so, most of the heavy lifting is done initially then the backup is actually taken off that copy and not from a real time event.

• 1 month later...

Disk contention is likely to be a bottleneck during a backup operation if your clients are using a traditional hard drive (and you;re trying to do something intensive on them at the same time) - one to bear in mind.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've observed, the backups are initiated from a scheduled task created on each client, so I guess you could script something to check that schedule (under \Microsoft\Windows\Windows Server Essentials) and adjust it if you don't like it. Bear in mind that, again from what I  can tell, the task gets recreated each day at the completion of the previous execution.