RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do I lower the fan speed in idle?

ToJa92

Hi, I purchased a Gen 8 about two weeks ago. I installed FreeNAS on a USB drive and saw that the fan speed while idling is 11% according to the iLO system information page.

I've seen that some have fan speeds as low as 6% (presumably while idling), so I searched a little and found out that you need at least one drive connected to the storage controller.

So today I set up an old 3.5" hard drive by connecting it to the ODD SATA port and then created a RAID0 using only that hard drive.

After doing that, I noticed that the fan is running at 6% if I leave the server in the storage controller setup pages.

In FreeNAS however, the fan still runs at 11% while idling.

I tried booting a Debian 8.4 live CD and even if I left it at the initial login prompt, the fan ran at 11%.

I also tried booting the Windows Server 2012 Datacenter setup and left it at the first screen, and the fan still ran at 11%.

Apart from the server (I have the base G1610T model) I also have one WD Red 2TB drive (WD20EFRX) connected, and an old Samsung 1TB drive connected to the internal ODD port.

BIOS is the latest version (2015.07.16). Cooling is set to the first option (I think it's "Optimal"?).

Is there some magic trick one have to do in order to run the fan 6% while having an OS booted?

Or is it just luck? Or do you have to run a certain OS?

Thanks in advance.

It is dependent on the brand and model of hard drive unfortunately. If you can try with a few different ones, see if you have any luck. I am running at 6% and I have:

2 x WD Red 3TB

1 x WD Red 6TB

1 x Crucial C300 128GB
1 x Samsung 830 256GB

I am running ESXi 6.0 U2 with build 88 of the hpvsa driver.

Same here.. but I am not using the HP controller. I have a IBM M1015 on my server with 7 HDD's

It is dependent on the brand and model of hard drive unfortunately. If you can try with a few different ones, see if you have any luck. I am running at 6% and I have:

2 x WD Red 3TB

1 x WD Red 6TB

1 x Crucial C300 128GB
1 x Samsung 830 256GB

I am running ESXi 6.0 U2 with build 88 of the hpvsa driver.

Same here.. but I am not using the HP controller. I have a IBM M1015 on my server with 7 HDD's

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Out of interest I removed the lone disk which I had in the first disk slot, meaning that only one hard drive is connected through the ODD port (and setup in RAID0 in the RAID options).

When I ran Debian 8 live through USB the fan is still running at 12% minimum, while the built-in HP Storage Administrator is somehow able to get the fan speed down to 6%.

I was able to mount the hard drive connected to the ODD port in Debian 8, so I suppose that it loads the drivers correctly for the built-in RAID card.

I'll try connecting an SSD to the ODD port next, but I doubt that's going to solve the issue. If anybody has any more ideas on what might be wrong I'd appreciate a reply.

Hey, thanks for the replies.

Out of interest I removed the lone disk which I had in the first disk slot, meaning that only one hard drive is connected through the ODD port (and setup in RAID0 in the RAID options).

When I ran Debian 8 live through USB the fan is still running at 12% minimum, while the built-in HP Storage Administrator is somehow able to get the fan speed down to 6%.

I was able to mount the hard drive connected to the ODD port in Debian 8, so I suppose that it loads the drivers correctly for the built-in RAID card.

I'll try connecting an SSD to the ODD port next, but I doubt that's going to solve the issue. If anybody has any more ideas on what might be wrong I'd appreciate a reply.

Two things:

- It could be the disk you are using in the ODD, so you need to swap that one as well, just to test.

- Try Windows with all the drivers installed, or ESXi (using the HP ISO)

This will rule out the final couple of things. I don't recall anybody mentioning Debian, so it may well be you are missing a driver.

Two things:

- It could be the disk you are using in the ODD, so you need to swap that one as well, just to test.

- Try Windows with all the drivers installed, or ESXi (using the HP ISO)

This will rule out the final couple of things. I don't recall anybody mentioning Debian, so it may well be you are missing a driver.

Alright, so I just connected an Intel 320 128GB SSD to the internal ODD port and set it up in a RAID0 on its own using the internal RAID card. I did not connect any disk to the front trays.

I then installed ESXi 6.0 from HP (this is what the web UI tells me: HPE Customized Image ESXi 6.0.0 Update 2 version 600.9.5.0.48 released on April 2016 and based on ESXi 6.0.0 Update 2 Vmkernel Release Build 3620759.).

Right now it seems to idle at 5% CPU usage. The fan still runs at 12% (I did however see it briefly at 11%).

Ambient temperature at boot is 21C according to the BIOS.

Do you have more ideas on things I could try? Or will the server only be able to get 6% fan speed in the RAID administrator?

Alright, so I just connected an Intel 320 128GB SSD to the internal ODD port and set it up in a RAID0 on its own using the internal RAID card. I did not connect any disk to the front trays.

I then installed ESXi 6.0 from HP (this is what the web UI tells me: HPE Customized Image ESXi 6.0.0 Update 2 version 600.9.5.0.48 released on April 2016 and based on ESXi 6.0.0 Update 2 Vmkernel Release Build 3620759.).

Right now it seems to idle at 5% CPU usage. The fan still runs at 12% (I did however see it briefly at 11%).

Ambient temperature at boot is 21C according to the BIOS.

Do you have more ideas on things I could try? Or will the server only be able to get 6% fan speed in the RAID administrator?

That is exactly what I have running, and my fan is constant at 6% (and has been at 6% since ESXi 5.5, so it's not ESXi 6 specific). How many different drive models have you tried so far? I know this is getting a bit ridiculous, but try a different drive, and install ESXi to a USB thumb-drive (plugged into the motherboard) instead of to the ODD drive.

That is exactly what I have running, and my fan is constant at 6% (and has been at 6% since ESXi 5.5, so it's not ESXi 6 specific). How many different drive models have you tried so far? I know this is getting a bit ridiculous, but try a different drive, and install ESXi to a USB thumb-drive (plugged into the motherboard) instead of to the ODD drive.

I've only tried two drives: An old Samsung HD103SJ and the Intel SSD.

I think I have one or two more old 3.5" hard drives I could try, and I may be able to try a Samsung 830 SSD (though I assumed that my Intel 330 would be so cold so that whatever temperature it reports to the RAID card it would be colder than any hard drive, but maybe the RAID card goes by some other metrics).

I have a Samsung 830 in my Gen8, so I know that definitely works. I've probably already asked you, but you have all the latest firmware, right?

As far as temperatures, what happens is that either the drive *doesn't* report any temperature, or it reports an abnormally high temperature, or there is a bug and whatever it reports is mis-interpreted by the ILO. In this case, the ILO assumes the worst, and ramps up the fan speed "just to be safe".

• Like 1

I have a Samsung 830 in my Gen8, so I know that definitely works. I've probably already asked you, but you have all the latest firmware, right?

As far as temperatures, what happens is that either the drive *doesn't* report any temperature, or it reports an abnormally high temperature, or there is a bug and whatever it reports is mis-interpreted by the ILO. In this case, the ILO assumes the worst, and ramps up the fan speed "just to be safe".

Thanks for all your help!

Turns out I had changed some settings related to the power management, and also I was using an Intel 330 SSD (which I think would work just as well as the Samsung 830, though).

So I switched "HP Power Profile" to "Balanced Power and Performance" and switched "HP Power Regulator" to "HP Dynamic Power Savings Mode". I also connected my Samsung 830 120GB SSD and set it up in RAID0.

And now it looks like this (with just the ESXi live installer running off a USB drive):

LD66OVl.png

Thanks again! Hopefully I can now leave the server on 24/7/365 like I intended :D

Edited by ToJa92