RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Xfinity service router question

Dave

I'm a newbie on xfinity and activated it with my own modem and router.  I was going to change the router out and wondered if I have to call in to activate the new mac address or maybe clone the old address with the new router.  Anyone know if that is required?

schoondoggy

From my experience with Xfinity, you only need to call them to swap out modems.

Router changes have been fine to do on my own.

jmwills

You will be fine with your own gear.

itGeeks

I'm a newbie on xfinity and activated it with my own modem and router.  I was going to change the router out and wondered if I have to call in to activate the new mac address or maybe clone the old address with the new router.  Anyone know if that is required?

If its a modem/router combo then I would say clone the MAC address of the WAN and save your self a phone call otherwise as schooon said if its only a stand alone router you should be fine.

LoneWolf

From my experience with Xfinity, you only need to call them to swap out modems.

Router changes have been fine to do on my own.

Ditto.  You call them and indicate you need to swap it out with your own equipment, and provide a MAC address.

When you turn in their equipment, make sure you get a receipt, just in case you get billed when you shouldn't.

You can use whatever router behind their modem you want.  I've lost track of the gear I've used, as I've had cable since it was first here in `98 or so (back then Excite!@Home before AT&T@Home, then Comcast bought it).