RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Disable Recorded TV Archiving

revengineer

Hi,

I want to disable archiving of recorded TV on one PC on my WS2012E domain. Recorded TV shows seem to be moved by the connector to the Recorded TV folder on the network share. I need to prevent or at least delay this until some post-processing of the show finishes. 

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I think it's done by a separate service on the client. As for specifics.... not sure. But run "services.msc" and see if there is a specific "Windows Server Essentials" service that does this.

That's what I thought. But I looked through the list twice now and I just can't see a named service that sticks out to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...

using WMC, recording to local G drive. The connector software transfers the video file to the recorded tv folder on the server after the recording is completed.

WMC has an archive to server option. (at least it did in WHS2011)

I have no idea if that still works with 2012

I am interested in how you got archiving to work on 2012.  This is the reason I am still on WHS2011 and searching the internet I can not find any instructions on how to do it on 2012.

Though I can think of two possibilities.  Something left over from an old connector, in which case on the media center computer there would be an icon for TV Archive in the main menu of media center that you use to setup whether you want to archive everything or specific shows. The other possibility is I know MyMovies has a similar capability and the setting for it would be in the 2012 dashboard My Movies settings.

• Like 1

Thanks for nagging. Because of this I finally found the issue. The recordings are not moved by the connector afterall. It is a scheduled task that does this. I moved recorded TV with the vbs script below. In the task scheduler, the trigger is "on an event" with Log: "Media Center", Source: "Recording", and Event ID: "1". This triggers when the recording logs as complete. Actually pretty simple, I just had forgotten about it. It is now easy enough to disable the task while I test my comskip settings.

Set obj = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set sourcefolder = obj.GetFolder("G:\Recorded TV")
On Error Resume Next
For Each file In sourcefolder.files
  If LCase(obj.GetExtensionName(file)) = "wtv" Then
    obj.MoveFile file, "\\Jeeves\Recorded TV\"
  End If
Next