RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Replace datastore drive.

psykix

I'm running out of space on my datastore, since it is only a 120Gb SSD.

ESXi is running on the embedded microSD card

I want to change it for a 240Gb. I currently only have 2 VM's on it. Given that it is running in the ODD bay, what's the easiest way to replace it?

Can I swap it out and then put the 120Gb in a USB caddy and copy the VM's back across?

One of my VM's has RDM's to the drives in the bays, I presume this would be unaffected?

Cheers!

Edited by psykix

ESXi won't recognise a USB drive as a datastore unfortunately (at least not in the GUI - haven't tried via esxcli).

Are you able to connect the new 240gb SSD to a spare SATA port? You can then move the VM folder(s) from the 120gb drive through the datastore browser. Once youve moved the contents you can remove the 120gb drive.

If you don't have a spare SATA port then try setting up a NFS share on another PC and connect that to ESXi and temporarily move your VM's to that, swap your drives out then move the VM's back across.

Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can I not create a blank datastore with the new drive and then from my PC copy across the VM's from the old datastore drive? or is the datastore not readable by anything other than VMware?

I can try the NFS share method - never done that so will have to have a read!

Ok.. Veeam out of the question, since it requires more than a free ESXi license.

Back to looking at the NFS route. Just as well that I looked at my datastore too, because the RDM VMK files are on there too which will need to be migrated across :-(

Ugh.

You can't mount it directly because it uses its own cluster FS called VMFS. There are kernel modules for Linux and a utility for Windows that allows you to access VMFS partitions but I'd avoid it just to ensure no weird issues.

Easiest way to do it is to plug both drives in at the same time and just copy the VMs across.

• Like 1

Well, that was an unmitigated disaster!

I couldn't use both drives at the same time, and so I used an NFS server on my Windows 10 machine. It timed out during the copy, and also thin provisioned VMs became thick provisioned during the copy.

In the end I have just blown the VMs away and I'll rebuild - it was only an Untangle box and a Plex server so not too much of a biggie.

Still annoyed that I was defeated though!

That's annoying! I run an NFS share to a separate Windows box and generally have no issues on performance moving VM's temporarily so not sure why you had problems - I use a 2012 box rather than Windows 10 though, perhaps that was the cause?

Pity you couldn't connect the new drive alongside the existing one and move within ESXi - presume this wasn't on your Gen8 box then?

Yeah, it was on my Gen8, but I didn't fancy messing with the drives in the bays since they contain all my media.

Anyway, it's taken me a few hours but I'm back up and running and it just needs Plex to scan all the media back in!

Plus.. I took the opportunity to make some changes to my Windows 10 install and changed to VMXnet3 NICs and PVSCSI host controller.

Fair enough!! Better to play it safe than risk losing all your data and having to play the backup recovery game!!!

And it's always good to update some settings you've discovered along the way!