RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
readybrett

OPEN MESH NEW PRODUCT - OM5P-AC?

nh_ets

Did some speed testing on a MacBook Air (2010, so not AC).  All downstairs, away from primary router.

Downstairs, away from primary router (Linksys) but next to the Netgear extender

5Ghz on Extender - about 120 down, 11 up

5Ghz connecting to the Linksys upstars - about 170 down, 11 up

2.4 GHz on the extender - 30 down, 10 up

2.4 Ghz off the upstairs Linksys - 50 down, 8 up

2.4Ghz on an Airport Express I set up on  the 2.4 GHz extender SSID, and right next to it (but with same SSID) - 16 down (I didn't try up) - wow that was worthless!

Is there a good app I should be using to better gauge network speed?

How would my Mesh idea improve on this

It seems the primary annoyance is latency - once I have connection I am OK, but in the spots where family is frustrated, it is often watching the status bar on the browser SLOWLY moving along.  Obvious multimedia impact too!

tjstansell

If you have something hard wired on your local network you can test against I highly suggest running iperf3 network tests. There is an iOS app called Free iPerf that can run as both a client or a server to test speeds both directions. And for OS X or Windows there are native iperf3 binaries available.

Check out the other threat for my testing experiments to see what I did: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10787-wifi-testing-standards/

I also recently discovered that netSpot (OS X app) has a site survey mode that lets you do active tests using iperf3. So, you can use a floor plan of your house as a guide, do tests in many places, and generate a heat map of coverage. I have only briefly played with that but it's pretty cool.