RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
readybrett

OPEN MESH NEW PRODUCT - OM5P-AC?

JROrtiz

Nice, Congrats! You have ordered a truck load of stuff my friend, Did you return Eero and what about Luma?

Kept eero, still have two 3-packs of Luma on preorder though I'll likely cancel one of them.

itGeeks

Kept eero, still have two 3-packs of Luma on preorder though I'll likely cancel one of them.

Thanks for the follow up. Do you have eero in service and if yes how is it working for you? Cant wait for a follow up on how the new Open-Mesh AC units are working for you, I love my MR1750.

JROrtiz

Thanks for the follow up. Do you have eero in service and if yes how is it working for you? Cant wait for a follow up on how the new Open-Mesh AC units are working for you, I love my MR1750.

I have eero deployed at my parent's house but won't be keeping them in service in my place, at least for now. Will be setting up the new Open-Mesh units this week to test out though. Wrote a full piece on my experience with eero so far here (was working on it when you asked about it which is why I hadn't responded :P ).

pcdoc

I have eero deployed at my parent's house but won't be keeping them in service in my place, at least for now. Will be setting up the new Open-Mesh units this week to test out though. Wrote a full piece on my experience with eero so far here (was working on it when you asked about it which is why I hadn't responded :P ).

Nice write up.  Look forward to your Part 2 and drawing a complete comparison between all 3 (at least in terms of WiFi).

JROrtiz

Nice write up. Look forward to your Part 2 and drawing a complete comparison between all 3 (at least in terms of WiFi).

That's definitely coming...

nh_ets

Hi I am new to the forum!

Working to replace a Linksys WRT1900 with a Netgear Extender that is mostly OK but still some slow/dead spots.  My SONOS experience made me a huge fan of Mesh for my home.

I have been watching Eero, Ampli-Fi (is it mesh?) and Luna, plus Open Mesh....but not sure of benefits of over another.

Any comparison reports between the two?  And if open mesh would you use multiple Mr1750 vs a single MR1750 plus a couple of OM5P-AC?  Streaming data (video, images, etc) from a Synology NAS plugged into the Linksys, plus usual internet consumption.

Finally, my Linksys is AC1900 but the MR1750 is...1750.....does that actually matter - I assume not for web, but for NAS transfer?

THANK YOU ALL.

itGeeks

Thanks for the update, I take a look.

itGeeks

Hi I am new to the forum!

Working to replace a Linksys WRT1900 with a Netgear Extender that is mostly OK but still some slow/dead spots.  My SONOS experience made me a huge fan of Mesh for my home.

I have been watching Eero, Ampli-Fi (is it mesh?) and Luna, plus Open Mesh....but not sure of benefits of over another.

Any comparison reports between the two?  And if open mesh would you use multiple Mr1750 vs a single MR1750 plus a couple of OM5P-AC?  Streaming data (video, images, etc) from a Synology NAS plugged into the Linksys, plus usual internet consumption.

Finally, my Linksys is AC1900 but the MR1750 is...1750.....does that actually matter - I assume not for web, but for NAS transfer?

THANK YOU ALL.

Welcome to the forums!

Regarding the use of extenders that's not the best option because they will slow you down in nature, Another words you take a good hit when using them.

We need more info from you in order to give you the best advice.

1. What is your main objective? Another words what problem are you trying to solve.

2. What is the sqft of the aria your trying to cover?

3. How many floors in your house?

4. What is the building materials used in your construction?

4. What is the internet speed your paying for both up/down?

5. Do you have CAT5/6 runs all over the house or at least to each floor in the house?

6. There maybe more questions to come from me or others but this will get us started.

Edited by itGeeks

nh_ets

Thanks!!  To answer:

1. What is your main objective? Another words what problem are you trying to solve.

Removal of dead spots or spotty speed, especially for video streaming off the NAS (hardwired upstairs to router), and ideally a single SSID

2. What is the sqft of the aria your trying to cover?

About 3200 internal

3. How many floors in your house?

2 stories (plus basement) but it is a funky house with a number of large exposed I beams that I am sure do all sorts of fun things to radio signals (but they look cool)

4. What is the building materials used in your construction?

Stick build 1960-2016 stages if construction, with the I beams as above

4. What is the internet speed your paying for both up/down?

I think we are Comcase 150 down and something like a theoretical 25-30 up?

5. Do you have CAT5/6 runs all over the house or at least to each floor in the house?

No.  Cable comes in upstairs, so router (WRT1900) lives there, with a Sonos, Ooma, and NAS attached to it.  Netgear Nighthwak range extender downstairs, but at one end of house - weaker area on same floor opposite end near the beams

6. There maybe more questions to come from me or others but this will get us started.

OK!  Thanks

nh_ets

PS.  I see the MR1750 says AC is not active but only "ready"  

Has the firmware come out to make it truly AC now?

And...coming from a 1900AC, would the lower 1750AC performance be noticeable for my use?

Thanks again