RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
readybrett

OPEN MESH NEW PRODUCT - OM5P-AC?

readybrett

I was cruising the web today and I think I see a new product in the open mesh lineup?

http://www.open-mesh.com/products/access-points/om5p-ac-cloud-access-point.html

Looks like an update from the older 'N' OM5P.  I had never used that product but have used the MR1750.

Just thought I would point it out, of course I could be all wet and this product has been available for some time.

pcdoc

I was cruising the web today and I think I see a new product in the open mesh lineup?

Looks like an update from the older 'N' OM5P.  I had never used that product but have used the MR1750.

Just thought I would point it out, of course I could be all wet and this product has been available for some time.

Definitely the same packaging which is a good thing because of the accessories, but I believe most of the guts have been changed and updated.

• Like 1

itGeeks

Like you I am using the MR1750 and absolutely love it. That is a new product just released and will replace the OM5P, As stated by Open-Mesh the OM5P is end of sale.

https://help.cloudtrax.com/hc/en-us/articles/209783793-End-of-Sale-Announcement-OM5P-AN-4-1-2016-

Edited by itGeeks

LoneWolf

OpenMesh users may already know this, but I did note one thing I'd find important under the MR1750 page:

Will not mesh with OM5P, but can run on the same network.

I'm unsure if that includes the OM5P-AC.

EDIT:  from the OM5P-AC's page.  So it looks like this is one of their big improvements and possibly one of the big reasons for upgrading.

Meshing?
The OM5P-AC performs best as a wired access point. It performs well as a mesh repeater when paired with a high-power gateway such as the MR1750. We do not recommend using this model as a mesh gateway.

Edited by LoneWolf

pcdoc

Good clarification.  That is what I had read also in the early press release.  I am going to try one the garage to provide additional bandwidth to my IP cameras.

itGeeks

OpenMesh users may already know this, but I did note one thing I'd find important under the MR1750 page:

Will not mesh with OM5P, but can run on the same network.

I'm unsure if that includes the OM5P-AC.

EDIT:  from the OM5P-AC's page.  So it looks like this is one of their big improvements and possibly one of the big reasons for upgrading.

Meshing?

The OM5P-AC performs best as a wired access point. It performs well as a mesh repeater when paired with a high-power gateway such as the MR1750. We do not recommend using this model as a mesh gateway.

Nice catch, Thanks for the info. Just to be clear all these mesh products will perform best when wired vs wireless meshing.

LoneWolf

Nice catch, Thanks for the info. Just to be clear all these mesh products will perform best when wired vs wireless meshing.

I think there's yet to be a great solution from anyone with meshing, but that's because the solution itself will never be as good as what wired can be.  Mesh is more about coverage with convenience.

• Like 1

itGeeks

I think there's yet to be a great solution from anyone with meshing, but that's because the solution itself will never be as good as what wired can be.  Mesh is more about coverage with convenience.

Agreed

JROrtiz

Glad I waited to purchase. Just ordered two of these new AC units.

itGeeks

Glad I waited to purchase. Just ordered two of these new AC units.

Nice, Congrats! You have ordered a truck load of stuff my friend, Did you return Eero and what about Luma?