RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Power Supply for new Atom build

mrossco

I'm going to kick off a new build in honor of Vail. My intent is to build out physical hardware for me to run the Vail pre-release builds on so I can familiarize myself with it and potentially build a couple of plug-ins. Once Vail is released, I plan on re-purposing the hardware by giving it to a buddy of mine who happens to be a photographer and will use the box to backup all of his work.

So far, I've acquired, second-hand, a Lian-Li PC-Q08B case and Atom board for the project. The case is really nice (thanks nocontrol) and comes with plenty of cooling in the form of both a 140mm inlet fan and a 120mm exhaust fan out the top. I'm in the process of planning out the rest of my build, but I'm stuck on the power supply. Even if I fill this thing full of drives, my requirements should not excede 300W.

Here's a Seasonic I'm looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151097

What do you guys think? I want to keep cables to a minimum, and I think a fanless PSU would work given my thermal footprint and massive fans. Any other suggestions?

This is a great supply however considering you already have fans in the case, buying a quality supply with a very quiet would not add any noise at all but it would provide a layer of protection. Your power requirement will be much less that 300 and more like 100 with 5-6 drives. Any quiet supply should perform well and I certainly would stick with modular.

Guest no-control

Yeah modular will help in that case alot as for the fanless PSU...I'm not a big fan (pun) of them most of the quality PSUs like the one you linked are super quiet anyway. The corsair unit I've been pimping on the show recently is dead silent. Knowing for the most part what you're putting in there ;) I would say the HDDs will be the louder. Size ins't so much of an issue it's going to be the quality of the power a server shouldn't have dodgy power if it's backing up your data.

Yea, I'm actually looking at the fanless aspects of this PSU as a negative, but I'm still considering it as I feel like I have plenty of cooling in the case. What I'm really focused on is modular, low wattage, and high efficiency. My 300W calculation is based on a "worst case" scenario where I add a PCI card, more drives and use a DVD Burner...

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Keep them coming! I'd like to get the all the parts order/purchased by Labor Day.

Well, I guess the BIOS Reset Project Redux is now officially underway! All of the parts have either been purchased from MicroCenter or have been ordered online and are on the way. Will put something up in the forums when its completed!