RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Its been a few years since I posted, so here is my setup

Pancakes

I love this setup. Probably uses a bit of power but you can't tick all the boxes.

230w is the highest I have seen it go, idles around 170w

You are saying all devices in the rack idle at 170W! That's good. I suppose all are connected via the 1 Cyberpower (looks like a CP1350 or 1500).  How long does it say the system will last with mains power off?

230w is the highest I have seen it go, idles around 170w

You are saying all devices in the rack idle at 170W! That's good. I suppose all are connected via the 1 Cyberpower (looks like a CP1350 or 1500).  How long does it say the system will last with mains power off?

Added some more drives, and a new switch and its now 198.... It says it will last 28 minutes, but I have never had an outage that long

New pics with Cisco SG300-28P

0WdBTNq.jpg

Edited by Pancakes

Added some more drives, and a new switch and its now 198.... It says it will last 28 minutes, but I have never had an outage that long

New pics with Cisco SG300-28P

0WdBTNq.jpg

Very neat.  Even my wife would allow that in the house.

Very nice setup. One thing though I am not sure I am feeling good about the UPS laying on its side? Not trying to be petty just food for thought after all there is a battery in there.

Thanks for sharing...

What's the noise level.  Typically those 2U servers are rather noisy.  Is that two racks or one?

And yes, I too am wanting some pancakes now after seeing your avatar again.

Very nice setup. One thing though I am not sure I am feeling good about the UPS laying on its side? Not trying to be petty just food for thought after all there is a battery in there.

Thanks for sharing...

I know some are not okay on their side, but the manual specifically says you can leave it on its side as long as you don't block any vents for the fans. I believe they are sealed batteries or something like that (Edit: found it, they use SLA cells with a gel electrolyte so orientation is not a problem)

What's the noise level.  Typically those 2U servers are rather noisy.  Is that two racks or one?

And yes, I too am wanting some pancakes now after seeing your avatar again.

The noise level is pretty low, 

The Cisco switch on top is pretty loud stock, so I added a 50Ω resistor to each of the 2 fans, and now its much better

Below that are the 2 x 2u servers, I went with building them myself instead of buying old enterprise stuff, since they are usually very loud (And deep, I dont have room) So I made them with all Noctua fans and CPU coolers, so they are very quiet even on max speed

The Lenovo JBOD below is EXTREMELY loud by defualt, but once you get the ThinkServer Storage Array Controller software installed, you can manually control the speed of the fans. I have it set to 1 of 7, and its not too bad, but the drives still stay cool

And yeah its 2 racks, its actually 2 x IKEA Rast tables, that I turned into racks

Edited by Pancakes
  • Like 1