RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Amazon Echo vs Echo Dot

Dave

I was watching the video that you demonstrated the sound quality and as soon as you said "Alexa" my Echo was listening.  She gave me the weather and then later played the song you requested.

This also happens during teleconferences because one of my competitors for the products I design sounds very close to "Alexa".

Sorry about that.  Fair warning to everyone else that I use the key word in order to test it.  I ultimately change the Dot to "echo" so I can address them separately.  Somebody commented in one of my podcasts about not saying the key word.  It's hard to remember!

I think it's funny. Alexa started playing the song you requested. It would be nice if we could choose our own keyword.

The choices are:

Alexa

Amazon

Echo

Yes, it would be nice to name it something only your family knew.  If you knew that I had smartthings installed you could go to my kitchen window and say, Alexa, open bay one.  Boom, garage opens.

I am not even asking to name it anything.  I would just like them to add Dot as a name.  Then the Echo can be Alexa and the Dot can be Dot.  Had a slight issue getting the wifi set up on the Dot, but I am sure that has more to do with my network than anything else.  Also other things don't seem to like my 22 character wifi key.  Once set up, Dot works good.  I was surprised at how good music sounded coming from just the tiny speaker on the DOT.

They should use the name Dot, they should also use Yakko and Wakko. Watching Animaniacs could do strange things to your house.

I want to use my kids name as the key word.  At least then when I say their names I know someone (or thing) is actually listening and paying attention to what I say!

• Like 2

I want to use my kids name as the key word.  At least then when I say their names I know someone (or thing) is actually listening and paying attention to what I say!

Like my house it would be something.