RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
ShuG

New Gen 8

ShuG

Hi Guys,

I've just ordered a Gen 8 to upgrade my N40L. which is just running Win7 on an SSD on the ODD cables and 4 x3Tb WD reds as data all lumped in to 1 big drive using windows disk manager. Now I don't need RAID redundancy as I do weeky backups to external drives. My question is when I transfer the drives to the Gen 8 the SSD will be on the ODD cables as usual as a RAID 0 but when I install the 4 X wd reds if I make them all RAID 0  will I have 1 drive of 11 (ish)TB

LoneWolf

If you make a RAID-0, yes, it should be one big stripe. As long as you're willing to accept that the loss of one drive is the loss of the array.

http://www.raid-failure.com/raid0-failure.aspx

Edited by LoneWolf

schoondoggy

You need to make each drive in your Gen8 a single drive RAID0. They will look like individual drives as the did in your N40l. You could also set the Gen8 to AHCI, but you would need to use a boot loader to get it to boot from the ODD port. If you decide to use the B120i and Single drive RAID0, setup your drives one at a time so you do not end up with multiple drives in a RAID0. Be sure your data is backed up.

user

Btw, my recommendation is to skip the b120i, I've tested read/write performance using that controller and the read was +/- 25MB/s .. :]

Without it, it is +/- 170MB/s. Write performance was the same.. So if you are willing to play with drivers all the time, then yes, go ahead and use b120i.. :P

schoondoggy

Btw, my recommendation is to skip the b120i, I've tested read/write performance using that controller and the read was +/- 25MB/s .. :]

Without it, it is +/- 170MB/s. Write performance was the same.. So if you are willing to play with drivers all the time, then yes, go ahead and use b120i.. :P

What was your RAID configuration? What brand and model drives? What OS? What test software? 

user

What was your RAID configuration? What brand and model drives? What OS? What test software? 

raid1, 2x Seagate NAS HDD 3.5'' 1TB SATA3 5900RPM 64MB, centos 6.8, hdparm and dd. The problem is with the driver for linux and for the VMware ESXi.

schoondoggy

raid1, 2x Seagate NAS HDD 3.5'' 1TB SATA3 5900RPM 64MB, centos 6.8, hdparm and dd. The problem is with the driver for linux and for the VMware ESXi.

I have not tried it lately, but back reving the driver to version 88 in ESXi 6 had fixed the performance issue:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9141-low-io-performance-with-esxi-60/page-3

user

I have not tried it lately, but back reving the driver to version 88 in ESXi 6 had fixed the performance issue:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9141-low-io-performance-with-esxi-60/page-3

I know that there is some workaround regarding ESXi, but it is very strange why HPE does not fix it releasing the new HPE esxi image with the right driver. Really strange. :/