RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add SSD to b120i for VM storage in addition to P222 array?

ak88

Hi all, I have a RAID5 array on my P222 which currently hosts my VMs but I have a 500GB SATA3 Samsung 850 Evo surplus to requirements so thought I'd buy a breakout cable and use the b120i port 1 for faster speeds than the SATA2 ODD port and then move my VMs to the SSD.

I have tried setting the mode in BIOS to b120i and AHCI but neither work, I was wondering what was the method for best IO performance? Would I set up RAID0 on the drive?

Cheers

I had platter drives in RAID-5 on my P222 in my Gen8 Microserver, and two SSDs in RAID-0 on my B120i.  Which is the same situation as on my ML310e Gen8 v2.

It worked fine.  I would think a single SSD in RAID-0 would work fine too.

Edited by LoneWolf

You should see your SSD with controller in AHCI just fine. Maybe you have bad breakout cable?

In my opinion, AHCI is better for standalone SSD if you dont need other features of the B120i.

I thought AHCI should have worked, I should have mentioned that I boot ESXI6 from a microSD card and when using vsphere to connect the SSD is not visible in the storage tab and if I click add storage nothing is shown in the wizard windows.

I bought the breakout cable from Amazon, I used a link from here to make sure I got the right one but I suppose it could be bad. Maybe I will try port 2 in case and launch the b120i config utility to see if the SSD is visible. I assume the drive should appear in ESXI if the drive is formatted in NTFS and it would let me reformat? If not maybe I need to delete the petition.

Thanks

I booted to SSA and the B120i has a status saying there are no physical drives connected so I will open the case up and try port 2 as it may be a bad cable as suggested by tomaash.

This is the cable I ordered:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Internal-SAS-SFF-8087-Forward-Breakout/dp/B00UJDXHTO

Tried port 2, same issue. Have requested a refund and ordered an LSI CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M.

Edited by ak88

I connected one to check that the SSD was receiving power and the HDD span up ok, will see if SSA recognises one.

I think there may be a fault with the cable, HDD was fine and now it is recognising the SSD intermittently. Will test further.