RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

server/connect gives error 500

nrf

I tried a number of searches here and elsewhere, could use some advice.

after a long time and a server bmr restore a while back, I am trying to add a new client

but I get

500 - Internal server error. There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed.

upon connecting

any thoughts? I already touched up the 'bindings' on the server but am not really an IIS admin, where to look for symptoms/clues at least would be appreciated.

thanks.

set bindings of each site to only one IP, didn't help

seems there is either a missing dll or corrupted config file can't tell which as no

failure logs produced

The default site will have both 80 & 443 tied to it but only Port 443 will have the Certificate needed

according to the error details it is either a corrupted xml file or a missing dll, it suggests turning on failure logging which I did, but I get no failure logs when reproducing the issue. 

ok, so I restored /inetpub from my oldest available server backup with no joy.

anyone know how to find which dll might be missing when a failure log file is not provided as requested?

ok, got my own answer, for reference: 

when I turned on wsus role it invoked some setting incompatible with the default web site. the following command as admin did the trick:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config -section:system.webServer/httpCompression /-[name=xpress]

• Like 1

Well that makes sense.  WSUS would have setup its own Site and quite possibly altered the Default Site's bindings.

I would consider this a bug - it should have its own site and never the twain shall meet

Not really a bug since WSUS is designed to have it's own server.