RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Issues setting up ML10 V2.

MarkJohnson

I have been fiddling with the server setting up various OSes and getting a feel for iLO4 and while searching I found you can get a free iLO4 advanced activation key for 60-days.  I signed up for it and got it instantly.

https://h20392.www2.hpe.com/portal/swdepot/displayProductInfo.do?productNumber=ILO_TRIALS

I was able to install Windows Server 2016 essentials v4.  It was crashing before because iLo4 was timing out as it was dropping after POST cleared.

So Now I decided to install the SPP updates and driver (currently using AHCI on my 500GB HHD that came with it) but want to use my 4 x 128GB SSDs I have in raid 5.   But I read the B120i drivers are in the SPP.

Anyway, when I try to download the SPP it tells me I need 3 entitlements:

Linked Support Agreements

Linked HP Care Packs

Linked Warranties

So I look under my Contract and warranties and get a ton of links:

https://h20566.www2.hpe.com/portal/site/hpsc/aae/home?ac.admitted=1459080968815.125225703.1938120508

I'm stuck at Linked Support Agreements.  It asks for SAID and SAR info that I don't have.  The rest I have the same issue.  I have no clue what they want for info, or where to find it.  I only got 3 little pieces of papers with my server with just updates on optical drive setup, a quick setup guide, and a warranty card a few pages long..

Anyway, If anyone can tell me what I need to do, I'd be very grateful.

-=Mark=-

Edited by MarkJohnson

Schoondoggy is correct.  You can't do RAID-5 on the B120i.

If you're on a tight budget and want to do RAID-5, you'll probably want an HP Smart Array P410 controller.  You can find them super-cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Smart-Array-P410-RAID-Controller-Card-462919-001-w-Battery-and-Cables-/371499453614?hash=item567f17ccae:g:wr0AAOSwDNdVkcJt

With two ports, you can take the drive connector on the mainboard, remove that cable, and plug it into port 1 on the P410. You can use the second port on the P410 for an IcyDock ExpressCage or something like that for your SSDs.

If you've got a little better budget, you could look at a Smart Array P420 controller.  These have the advantage of being visible in the iLO4, and can be a bit more easily monitored remotely for failure.  They're newer, so performance is a bit higher.  However, they cost more, and the P410 will do the job reasonably without costing you a ton (though upgrading to 512MB of cache at some point will improve performance further).

Edited by LoneWolf

Crap, the system choked on my reply and previous page gave me a blank page.

The B120i does not support RAID5.
I think joe_miner had a post on account linking.

Thanks this will help since I know what I'm looking for.

Schoondoggy is correct.  You can't do RAID-5 on the B120i.

If you're on a tight budget and want to do RAID-5, you'll probably want an HP Smart Array P410 controller.  You can find them super-cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Smart-Array-P410-RAID-Controller-Card-462919-001-w-Battery-and-Cables-/371499453614?hash=item567f17ccae:g:wr0AAOSwDNdVkcJt

With two ports, you can take the drive connector on the mainboard, remove that cable, and plug it into port 1 on the P410. You can use the second port on the P410 for an IcyDock ExpressCage or something like that for your SSDs.

If you've got a little better budget, you could look at a Smart Array P420 controller.  These have the advantage of being visible in the iLO4, and can be a bit more easily monitored remotely for failure.  They're newer, so performance is a bit higher.  However, they cost more, and the P410 will do the job reasonably without costing you a ton (though upgrading to 512MB of cache at some point will improve performance further).

I don't know if I really need RAID5, I just happen to have a lot of spare parts.   I just need RAID0 and RAID1.  Those should be enough.  Nothing really important on this rig.  More of toying around at the moment.

I'd love the P420.  Looks real nice.  Maybe x-mas or b-day.

Thanks for the help guys.

-=Mark=-