RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP proliant n40l CPU upgrade

saintryan

Hi, new to the forum and just bought a nice HP proliant microserver from eBay. I bought it to have file s storage and to solve my issues of an always on central hub for my network.

Has anyone ever upgraded the cpu before? Is it possible? And would it be possible to upgrade to say an Intel core duo 2 which is cheap and would do the job.

No. Only the gen8 microserver has a socketed CPU. The older microserver had the CPU soldered on to the motherboard and aren't swappable without significant rework. You'd be far better off buying a new Gen8 microserver.

No. Only the gen8 microserver has a socketed CPU. The older microserver had the CPU soldered on to the motherboard and aren't swappable without significant rework. You'd be far better off buying a new Gen8 microserver.

Thanks for the response. Damn.. too late, already bought it.. i'll have to just see how i get on with it i suppose. The seller did say it was good for plex and xbmc though, but ive heard conflicting reports its no good for streaming films from it to devices around the home.

ive heard conflicting reports its no good for streaming films from it to devices around the home.

Your issue will be transcoding as it is very CPU intensive. If Plex doesn't need to transcode then the N40L will be fine for streaming. XBMC/Kodi should be fine as it generally doesn't transcode on the fly.

Your issue will be transcoding as it is very CPU intensive. If Plex doesn't need to transcode then the N40L will be fine for streaming. XBMC/Kodi should be fine as it generally doesn't transcode on the fly.

As i didnt know what transcoding was but now I do after a little research I think I will be fine as plex seems to manage the file formats i use just fine. Either that or I will use SBMC (XBMC) as my alternative which plays just about anything that you throw at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the response. Damn.. too late, already bought it.. i'll have to just see how i get on with it i suppose. The seller did say it was good for plex and xbmc though, but ive heard conflicting reports its no good for streaming films from it to devices around the home.

Download and install Xpenology on your N40L, its basically DSM operating system that ships on Synology devices, its awesome. It does come with PLEX app onboard that you can switch on or switch off at the click of a button, it will turn your device in to a full scale NAS.  You can use the in built DsVideo, DsAudio, DS file, Ds Photo, Ds Cloud, Ds Finder, Ds Cam, Ds Download, Ds Note, Synology MailPlus.

All of which are totally free (no adds) and available on Apple appstore and Google Play.

You can download yourself DS Video as an app on Microsofts Store which works really well and pretty damn good with Windows 10 tablets. It looks very similar to Plex but unlike Plex's app its totally free (add free too).   DS Video and the DS Video app actually works so much better for me in efficiency and image quality when transcoding to mobiles, tablets, PC's.

Heres the Xpenology Forum + http://xpenology.me/ for installation files under the download section. It might be worth waiting for them to release DSM 6 which is about to be released on Xpenology.  I cant post download links, as im not sure if its allowed.

Here's a little video overview of DS Video

Heres the same video direct to the DS Video Windows 10 app

That software will breath some life in to your N40L, good luck!

Edited by SOUK