RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is 16GB still max?

sunefred

It has been two years since this thread 

32GB in G8?

From what I understand we will have 32GB in the MicroServer when we get 16GB dual rank + ECC + unbuffered modules. Searching both Crucial and Kingston nets me nothing, but maybe you guys are wiser and can tell me if any new modules have showed up since 2014?

EDIT: I didn't realize, this is my first posts here, so hello everyone! I have been lurking and reading here from time to time and you are all a very informative and knowledgeable bunch.

Edited by sunefred

I would find this unlikely.  Some of the processors support 32GB maximum, but the Intel C204 chipset may only be able to support 8GB per socket, and there's only two sockets.

Also note that the memory modules you mention are unlikely.  The market is slowly but surely moving DDR4, and I don't see vendors seeing any profit producing the modules you speak of as opposed to getting out new 16GB DDR4 modules for newer systems like the ML30 Gen9.

The "ranks" are electrically and logically near identical to sockets. A single dual-rank DIMM behaves almost indistinguishably to how two single-rank DIMMs in sockets on the sme bank would behave.

The "ranks" are electrically and logically near identical to sockets. A single dual-rank DIMM behaves almost indistinguishably to how two single-rank DIMMs in sockets on the sme bank would behave.

Note my second point, however, even if the first isn't borne out.  The likelihood of dual-rank ECC unbuffered 16GB DDR3 modules being manufactured is extremely unlikely.  First, by that time most vendors are making buffered/registered modules, which aren't supported by the Microserver Gen8.  Second, the market is moving to DDR4.  There's little profit in making a memory module that would have extremely limited market sales.

If this is true, does this imply that the c204 chipset only supports a total of 4 ranks? So if you had a c204 motherboard with 4 dim slots you would need single rank 8GB modules to get 32GB. Is this assumption valid?

I really really wish there were news on the Gen9/10. I love the formfactor and the iLO4, but 16GB is very limiting for a homelab with a bunch of VMs

If this is true, does this imply that the c204 chipset only supports a total of 4 ranks? So if you had a c204 motherboard with 4 dim slots you would need single rank 8GB modules to get 32GB. Is this assumption valid?

Yes. There are C204 based motherboards with 4 DIMM slots and they support a maximum of 32GB. The Gen8 Microserver only has 2 slots and you're limited to 16GB. No known way around it.

Mar 31, 2010: HP unveils ProLiant G7 Server Platforms

Sep 26, 2012: HP Introduces ProLiant Gen8 Servers That Enhance Virtualized Performance, Facilitate Move to Cloud

Aug 28, 2014: HP Unveils New ProLiant Gen9 Servers to Help Customers Address Evolving Data Center Demands

My guess we will see Gen 10 sometime this autumn, but will it have a Microserver? I sure hope so!

Edited by sunefred

Yes. There are C204 based motherboards with 4 DIMM slots and they support a maximum of 32GB. The Gen8 Microserver only has 2 slots and you're limited to 16GB. No known way around it.

Thanks for your response. I guess the other way to attack this find a way to have the server support registered RAM. Is this a CPU issue or MB issue?

Is this a CPU issue or MB issue?

The RAM is connected directly to the CPU. The memory controller in these CPUs only support unbuffered RAM. Think of E3s as slightly tweaked versions of the desktop CPUs. Edited by GotNoTime
  • Like 1

The RAM is connected directly to the CPU. The memory controller in these CPUs only support unbuffered RAM. Think of E3s as slightly tweaked versions of the desktop CPUs.

Dude is this a secret or something because Intel spec says nothing about registered/unregistered :-(

http://ark.intel.com/sv/products/65728/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E3-1265L-v2-8M-Cache-2_50-GHz