RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows server license query

bob808

I aborted my attempt to get ESX up and working and was going to instead go with windows server 2012 r2 and possibly run a couple of VMs in there if required.

What is confusing me though is what edition do I need - and what are the licensing implications.  I would have this as a home datastore with a number of kodi/openelec devices accessing the shared media.  I would also share live tv and recordings to the same clients.

There would be a couple of laptops also connecting to share and backup files from.

I hadnt appreciated device licensing being required before so just want to check if that would be required or not?

You have a license "workaround" with Windows Server 2012 when installing the Free version called Hyper-V, available here : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-hyper-v-server-2012-r2

However this is a "virtual machines oriented" OS, and this is not easy to setup since it doesn't come pre-packed with a gui.

You can also evaluate windows server 2012 r2 for 180 days without a license, available here :https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

After that you need to buy one to keep using the system, or reinstall the os completely and back up your settings (annoying but not so hard if you have the OS installed on a separate drive).

But reading through your post, I'm guessing you want to use this server mainly as a NAS combined with several media player around your house. You can do all of that (and the setup will be less painful) using a standard edition of Windows 10 or Windows 8 on your HP MS Gen8.

And that is only if you want to keep playing in the windows field. Linux and Freenas are also very good and free alternatives for setting up a NAS/Mediacenter. In my opinion ^^

Enjoy your sunday !

Rock'