RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Could i get some advice?

Traveling Light

First off I'd like to say hi to everyone. I've been reading this forum like crazy:)

I'm new and don't know much about servers. I got this gen8 with the 1610T CPU and 2gb of ram. I also got a 6TB WD Red. I'm planning to make an investment in more sorage and ram and a cpu. I'd love to hear your opinion about that. I also have a 120GB ssd laying arround that i plan on using for the os.

I tried connecting to the Ilo port but the lights on the port don't turn on. They do if i put the cable in the lan ports but not on the ilo. And currently don't have an external monitor to connect it to.

I'd like to use it to back up my laptops and currently being amazed of the things you can do with a server.

Drop me a line if you have any oppinions about this. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Welcome!

With iLo you have a  choice of using the dedicated port or sharing port1. It sounds like yours is set to share. In setup you can define which port you want to use.If you are using DHCP iLo will be assigned a IP address. Unfortunately, you need a monitor keyboard and mouse to check the setup and get the IP address.

What OS are planning to run?

What are you looking at using your server for.

• Like 1

I haven't decided yet. I am planning of backing up all my data. And possibly moving some of my files. It would be nice to have remote access to my files. What would be awesome is making my family user accounts so they have acess to my photos(read only). Also it would be nice if i could back up automatically photos from my devices too.

Hello,

I'm new to this forum too (and also a fresh user of the Hp gen8 ms), and I think I'll use yor thread to introduce myself and say Hi to this awesome community : I've been reading a lot of threads and it really helped me setup this wonderful server !

Regarding your desires for hardware upgrades : I think that you're all set with the basic configuration that's shipped in (+ you have a ssd for OS ^^), if you only want to back up files/display them through a web interface on local or external network.

But, if you want to speed everything up I know that you can buy low voltage Xeon processors and up to 16Gb of ECC Ram following those awesome links here : http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/

Personally I only added a graphic card to the motherboard for hdmi purposes (MSI GeForce 210 low profile) and everything worked fine !

Regarding the OS it's were it gets tricky : since you want to use your server as a NAS (guessing from your posts), you could go for ease of install/use and install Freenas : http://www.freenas.org/

You can setup users accounts, organize and access your files easily, and it's all pre-packed to ease access of files from any location.

But since you have an SSD and maybe tons of uncovered desires regarding the future use of your server, you could maybe try installing windows server 2012, or Ubuntu server 14.04.

I've installed both OS to a 120Gb SSD without any problems (with the default B120i raid controller), but without the help of HP intelligent provisioning (always getting read errors on my isos...).

Unfortunately as schoondoggy stated : you will need a VGA display to first install the OS, before being able to setup any kind of remote access.

I'll try to upload a video series on how to install both OS with the easiest steps in a few days. Although there is already some great videos on that on the forum, I've always found them to be a bit "tricky" :P

Anyway good luck on your setup and keep posting questions if you have any issues !

• Like 1

Could I start by installing freenas and ad windows server later?

And do you have any idea if this RAM is compatible? 69148512d91bcc2341214e583823c706.jpg

Thank you!:)

Edited by Traveling Light

The memory module pictured appears to be Registered. The MS Gen8 uses unbuffered ECC memory.

As for OS's. If you want to run FreeNAS and Windows server, you would need to run some type of virtualization and run FreeNAS and Windows server as Virtual Machines.

You could load Windows Server 2012R2 as the base OS and try to run FreeNAS as a virtual machine, but I am not sure if that would work or be a good idea.

Do you currently own a version of Windows server? 

No, currently don't own one. I'm looking of going in to this step by step investing money on the way that's why i'm looking to make the best decisions.

What os would you recommend with my current configuration? 1610T CPU and 2GB RAM.

I would look at playing with each individually to learn. Setup the server with FreeNAS, then try Windows Server. Do some research to see if FreeNAS will run as a VM under Windows Server. You can get evaluation copies of Windows server to play with from Microsoft.

As schoondoggy said it's best to play with each and make your own educated guest from experience ^^

Windows server can be downloaded from here for a free use of 180 days : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

Ubuntu server from here : http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server

And you already got the link for Freenas :>

In my opinion although, you should try to familiarize yourself with the use of one OS on your server before plunging into the world of Virtual Machines. Especially with the basic hardware setup.

You should know (if not already) that after you have installed an OS to your SSD, you will have to format your 6TB drive to be "managed/access" by said OS.

Using windows server you'll have to create an NTFS partition on your hdd.

Using Linux/Debian server you'll have to create an EXT partition.

And using FreeNas you'll have to use the ZFS filesystem. Able to access with "read-only" mode the already existing NTFS or EXT partitions.

If you install Freenas first and manage your stock hdd with ZFS filesystem on the full drive, it will be impossible to use the drive without erasing/formatting it when installing Windows Server afterward.

If you go with windows server first and use your stock hdd with NTFS filesystem on the full drive, you will be able to access it on read-only mode when installing Freenas onto the ssd afterward.

If you go with Ubuntu server first and use your stock hdd with EXT filesystem on the full drive, you will be able to access it on read-only mode when installing Freenas onto the ssd afterward. And you will have to format everything if you try windows server instead. Etc...

The "easiest" way, without any good knowledge about server administration, to have a full up and running sytem on your machine is to go with Freenas (in my opinion). But the main problem is that it is a closed system, and you won't have any flexibility if you try to go past the filesharing/mediacenter experience. Especially if you want to use your server as a web server later.

Going with Windows Server or Ubuntu (Linux) you have a complete "sandbox" OS solution. You can decide progressively to implement protocols and services that you will need, and there is virtually no limit to what you can do. But it's really harder to setup ^^

For example setting up windows server to be a filesharing server can be quite difficult at first. Especially if you have already a workgroup with windows computers running on your personal network.

Ubuntu will be easier as it comes pre-packed with a lot of filesharing access, but without any knowledge of linux you'll have to adapt to a whole new learning curve.

Don't be afraid to ask more questions and try completing a whole OS install setup on the server to see for yourself.

Cheers

I am planning on getting another 6tb drive in the near future. And later on upgrading. I am really curious about VMs but i feel it's better to start as you said with freenas. Is there a way that i can more easily migrate on windows?