RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

My New Acquisition - Ubiquti UAP-AC-PRO

LoneWolf

itGeeks, that's fine, and I'm glad you love the product.  I'll be happy to discuss that one too, but I don't want to get too far off track in this thread since I'm focusing on a Ubiquiti product.

• Like 2

itGeeks

itGeeks, that's fine, and I'm glad you love the product.  I'll be happy to discuss that one too, but I don't want to get too far off track in this thread since I'm focusing on a Ubiquiti product.

LoneWolf - Sorry for my rude tone yesterday, I really have to learn to stay off the computer when I am in a bad mood. I was simply trying to make a point, I think this is kinda of Ford vs Chevy as some people have better luck with one over the other. You have provided some great information and I want to thank you for that.

Have a great day!

LoneWolf

LoneWolf - Sorry for my rude tone yesterday, I really have to learn to stay off the computer when I am in a bad mood. I was simply trying to make a point, I think this is kinda of Ford vs Chevy as some people have better luck with one over the other. You have provided some great information and I want to thank you for that.

Have a great day!

I wasn't intending to debate one product vs. the other either, only make people familiar with a product on the market from someone who has used it, and compare it over time to other products I have used.  I've worked with Aruba on the high end for example.  I like them a lot, largely because of their integrated virtual controller; they were the first to have a really good working product with this at the large end, and I found it worked very well in deployments of forty access points.  They also had regularly updated firmware, and a really robust product.

At the mid-end I've worked with Watchguard.  They use the same WAP hardware as OpenMesh (in fact several vendors do, they just home-roll the firmware).  The Watchguard units work solidly, check the right boxes, but they don't have a lot of frills.  Only recently have they moved into the improved market with an AC access point that adds band-steering and many of the other features you'd want, but our deployments of those have gone well.  I think that whether the hardware works mediocre/good/great largely depends on vendor firmware of these (be it Watchguard, OpenMesh, or any other of the couple people who are branding these).

We've worked with one client who has Motorola APs (Motorola's wireless networking division got bought by Zebra, the barcode label printer folks, so now they're Zebra APs).  They're kind of clunky.  For what they cost, I think they're overpriced, or at least they were under Moto.  It looks like Zebra is looking to position them in a way that lets warehouses and manufacturers integrate roaming barcode printing for things like order pick/tag, and such.

I've only played with Ubiquiti in small deployments.  Most of them were the pretty basic UAP model (green ring), so I wasn't that impressed.  So far in my own home though, the UAP-AC-PRO has been quite solid.  I can only comment for a one-AP situation at this point, so I'm eliminating things like roaming and signal overlap, but performance on that one single AP has been solid so far on the latest firmware, and once configured, I haven't had to think about it.  Clients are being band-steered to 5GHz on my single SSID the way they should be.

I haven't had time to do a VLAN configuration yet and see what happens there.  I would like to do that and a Guest VLAN with a captive portal and bandwidth-rate limiting to do more real-world testing, but it will have to wait until at least this weekend, possibly a bit longer (I have a somewhat stressed spouse working on report cards, and dropping the wireless network would probably not be a recipe for marital bliss).  I can say though that so far, the unit has been worth the price of $150 shipped; I can't think of anyone else who offers a 3x3 802.11n/3x3 802.11ac access point for that price, let alone one that works reasonably.  I looked briefly at Linksys' LAPAC1750PRO;  Linksys has an onboard virtual controller and can cluster multiple units.  However, Belkin/Linksys has been awfully slow on firmware updates, and I just don't expect long-term support on their product.  Ubiquiti is in a state where support has to happen for their products to survive in what has become an extremely competitive market.  If they can provide a product that's 80% of the $400-600-per-WAP vendors, their price will make them a shoo-in.

And, for everyone that has had a home wireless router, even an enthusiast one, and has been disappointed, it's likely they'll find that having a dedicated access point like this (and a separate router)  has the potential to make a big difference.

My one disappointment with the product (highly irrelevant for me, but noteworthy):  Ubiquiti's early product literature mentioned that the UAP-AC-PRO shared the same mount as the UAP-PRO --so if you were in an office or school with UAP-PRO points and just wanted to upgrade, handy drop-in, right?  Well, that statement was incorrect, was part of early marketing literature, and never should have made it into advertising for the production product.  It doesn't hurt me at all, but it should have been caught long before it was (Ubiquiti has since removed this statement from all literature).

At some point, I'll probably open a thread in Wifi about the Unifi controller software, which is pretty slick.

LoneWolf

For reference - This is a Speedtest from an Intel Ultimate 6300N 3x3 802.11n card (450Mbps theoretical max) from my ThinkPad T420 using Comcast's backbone only, on the 5GHz radio.  Apologies, it won't link as an image.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5275042738

This is as fast as my connection can go, at 85Mbps down, 12Mbps up.  The same connection is achieved with my Buffalo AC1200 (2 x 2 802.11AC) over 5GHz.  I'm very satisfied with the performance I'm getting.

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

For reference - This is a Speedtest from an Intel Ultimate 6300N 3x3 802.11n card (450Mbps theoretical max) from my ThinkPad T420 using Comcast's backbone only, on the 5GHz radio.  Apologies, it won't link as an image.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5275042738

This is as fast as my connection can go, at 85Mbps down, 12Mbps up.  The same connection is achieved with my Buffalo AC1200 (2 x 2 802.11AC) over 5GHz.  I'm very satisfied with the performance I'm getting.

Thanks for sharing your speedtest results, Y are the pings so high? Doing a speedtest here I get pings of 8ms.

LoneWolf

Thanks for sharing your speedtest results, Y are the pings so high? Doing a speedtest here I get pings of 8ms.

Could be time of day.

Could be that my path is wireless card ->access point->switch->switch->firewall->cable modem->Internet.

Usually my pings are 12-14ms.  I'm not having any latency issues when it comes to application performance and such, so I'm fine with it.

At some point when I look at going from 10-port to 24-port switch in the basement, I'll probably LAGG my upstairs and downstairs switches via their fiber uplinks and do a 2Gbps connection.  Have a buddy retiring some decent Dell Powerconnect 55xx PoE switches and he'll set one aside; I love my Cisco SG300, but ten ports isn't quite enough any more downstairs.

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

Could be time of day.

Could be that my path is wireless card ->access point->switch->switch->firewall->cable modem->Internet.

Usually my pings are 12-14ms.  I'm not having any latency issues when it comes to application performance and such, so I'm fine with it.

At some point when I look at going from 10-port to 24-port switch in the basement, I'll probably LAGG my upstairs and downstairs switches via their fiber uplinks and do a 2Gbps connection.  Have a buddy retiring some decent Dell Powerconnect 55xx PoE switches and he'll set one aside; I love my Cisco SG300, but ten ports isn't quite enough any more downstairs.

Thanks for the update, The new switch sound great. I have a Netgear 24 port switch on the edge of my network and it runs great, I don't do LAG to the other switches around the house but I see no trouble so it will remain that way.

GotNoTime

Y are the pings so high? Doing a speedtest here I get pings of 8ms.

It'll depend on where you are, where the speedtest server is you're using and how the connection between is routed. LoneWolf being on WiFi will add 1-2 ms by itself due to how WiFi works. If there are many hops through routers then the latency goes up but it is possible you can't actually see those intermediate routers if they're using something like MPLS. I don't know much about cable modem technology but for DSL, whether you've got interleaving enabled or not will also alter your latency by a few ms.

oj88

@LoneWolf

Seeing that you're the most experienced guy here with Ubiquiti products, having deployed them both at work and home, do you think that the AC-LR would be as reliable as the AC-PRO?

itGeeks

It'll depend on where you are, where the speedtest server is you're using and how the connection between is routed. LoneWolf being on WiFi will add 1-2 ms by itself due to how WiFi works. If there are many hops through routers then the latency goes up but it is possible you can't actually see those intermediate routers if they're using something like MPLS. I don't know much about cable modem technology but for DSL, whether you've got interleaving enabled or not will also alter your latency by a few ms.

I do understand all of that, The test I did yesterday with pings at 8ms was using wireless and when tested using wired I was getting 6ms. His numbers seemed high to me, I must also point out my WAP is going threw 2 switches in my house first. If I ping any given device on my network its 0ms or rather 1<ms My test where performed on both a desktop computer with wireless & a mobile device. I still think there maybe something going on with his network that he may want to look into. I have OCD when it comes to this kind of stuff and even though it seems like everything is running OK I like to keep my network as tight as possible.

Edited by itGeeks