RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

My New Acquisition - Ubiquti UAP-AC-PRO

LoneWolf

If either of you can mention the model of WAPs you got, I'd be interested. Ubiquiti made three distinct N models. They also made a first-gen AC WAP prior to the current line, which is widely considered to be a disaster (that was their one square one -notice that none of the new ones are square? ;) ).

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

If either of you can mention the model of WAPs you got, I'd be interested. Ubiquiti made three distinct N models. They also made a first-gen AC WAP prior to the current line, which is widely considered to be a disaster (that was their one square one -notice that none of the new ones are square? ;) ).

I tried the UAP-Pro-US, then sent me 3 different ones to try and get a good one. Big fail.

itGeeks

I went from an XTM 25-W to a T30-w.  As I have my WCSP (WatchGuard Certified Systems Professional) cert, you get a special purchase price including three years of UTM. 

The T30-W has only been out several months, and performce nicely.  It improves over the previous XTM-2 series by adding a PoE port, two USBs, a more powerful processor, and 802.11ac wireless.  It removes the external antennas, but since it no longer has a metal case, our Watchguard regional engineer has said WiFi performance has about doubled.  My one beef is that its wireless isn't simultaneous dual-frequency; you can have 2.4 or 5GHz, but not both, unless you use it as a wireless controller for a Watchguard access point (note: those are pretty much the same hardware as your OpenMesh points but with Watchguard custom firmware).  Currently, I have Dynamic DNS set up through no-ip.com (after DynDNS got outrageously expensive and I dropped them) and am running my SSL VPN via one of the domains.

I plan to set the Ubiquiti up this weekend; I want to migrate to my new server first, as I may spin up a small Linux VM to run the Unifi controller software.  I'm looking to create two VLANs (on the Watchguard and my two switches); one for public/guest access, and one for private/LAN access, and do guest and private SSIDs.

I use DynDNS and I don't find it expensive, What plan did you have that was costing so much? I have the 'Dyn Standard DNS Service' and it only cost me 5.00 a month.

snapper

I have both new model Ubiquiti AC-LR and AC-Pro at home and they are far far better than the old UAP / LR / Pro models (all of which I have tried either at home or work)

I did look at the MR1750, and I'm sure it performs well, however here in the UK, the Ubiquiti AC-LR is half the price. 

As best 5ghz Wifi performance will be gained through more AP's at lower power, in my situation at home, Ubiquiti was the better buy.

That said, I'm in the UK - homes here are traditionally brick built walls (internally as well) so signal attenuation is far greater than those buildings that are built using timber/plasterboard walls.

LoneWolf

I use DynDNS and I don't find it expensive, What plan did you have that was costing so much? I have the 'Dyn Standard DNS Service' and it only cost me 5.00 a month.

$60 per year using my own registered domain name (costing me additional) is quite expensive when I could pay $32.95/year through no-ip.com and use up to fifty of their domain names, and they'll let me register one permanent domain on that price and manage it for me.

$60 doesn't sound like much, until you look at the percentage price increase Dyn has charged over the years, and also compare their service with the price of other Dynamic DNS services.  Suddenly, they're rather expensive by comparison, especially when the primary reason is just an SSL VPN connection.

Dyn's only advantage (which is questionable, IMO) is that there are some routers that solely support DynDNS in their firmware.  While that's true of WatchGuard, I just run the client on a local 24/7 PC and get around that.  They have recognition, but there's other people that do what they do just as well, and aren't resting on a name that started back when DynDNS cost nothing.  I'd been paying for several years, and my last time it was $40/year.  For what they're giving me, relative to others, it's too rich for my blood.

P.S.  If I'm not insistent on my own registered domain name, for $20/year, I can have up to 25 of their domain names.  Which is also fine and good for VPN access.

Edited by LoneWolf

itGeeks

$60 per year using my own registered domain name (costing me additional) is quite expensive when I could pay $32.95/year through no-ip.com and use up to fifty of their domain names, and they'll let me register one permanent domain on that price and manage it for me.

$60 doesn't sound like much, until you look at the percentage price increase Dyn has charged over the years, and also compare their service with the price of other Dynamic DNS services.  Suddenly, they're rather expensive by comparison, especially when the primary reason is just an SSL VPN connection.

Dyn's only advantage (which is questionable, IMO) is that there are some routers that solely support DynDNS in their firmware.  While that's true of WatchGuard, I just run the client on a local 24/7 PC and get around that.  They have recognition, but there's other people that do what they do just as well, and aren't resting on a name that started back when DynDNS cost nothing.  I'd been paying for several years, and my last time it was $40/year.  For what they're giving me, relative to others, it's too rich for my blood.

P.S.  If I'm not insistent on my own registered domain name, for $20/year, I can have up to 25 of their domain names.  Which is also fine and good for VPN access.

I only want my domain so 5.00 a month vs what the service providers want for a static IP is a no brainier, That's 1000's of dollars a year savings but yes 32.95 a year if they let you have your own www.xyz.com domain is definitely cheaper, I will look into it but how reliable is there service? many routers seem to support dyn but No-IP is scars but supported. 

Edited by itGeeks

itGeeks

I have both new model Ubiquiti AC-LR and AC-Pro at home and they are far far better than the old UAP / LR / Pro models (all of which I have tried either at home or work)

I did look at the MR1750, and I'm sure it performs well, however here in the UK, the Ubiquiti AC-LR is half the price. 

As best 5ghz Wifi performance will be gained through more AP's at lower power, in my situation at home, Ubiquiti was the better buy.

That said, I'm in the UK - homes here are traditionally brick built walls (internally as well) so signal attenuation is far greater than those buildings that are built using timber/plasterboard walls.

I understand Open-Mesh is more money but trust me it is money well spent, Their units blow away the competition and the support you get is A++, the fixes come quick. You also wont need as many WAP's to cover the same aria as you would from others so there is a big savings as well. I would also bet that where you need 2 of the Ubiquiti you may need only one of the Open-Mesh.

Edited by itGeeks

LoneWolf

I only want my domain so 5.00 a month vs what the service providers want for a static IP is a no brainier, That's 1000's of dollars a year savings but yes 32.95 a year if they let you have your own www.xyz.com domain is definitely cheaper, I will look into it but how reliable is there service? many routers seem to support dyn but No-IP is scars but supported. 

I don't bother hard coding it in the router any more.  I run a client off a 24/7 system in the house that keeps the registration going.  Then I don't need the router support.

I believe my ASUS RT-AC87 router also supports no-ip.com but as I'm using the Watchguard now, the software client is fine.  It works just as well.

Dyn can have my business back as soon as their prices come down a little; I just found this is cheaper and does the job well.  I've had it for four months now and have never had an outage.  No-IP is quite well known.

Edited by LoneWolf

snapper

You also wont need as many WAP's to cover the same aria as you would from others so there is a big savings as well. I would also bet that where you need 2 of the Ubiquiti you may need only one of the Open-Mesh.

You are missing the critical point with Wifi - the weakest link in the chain is the transmitter in the *client* not the AP.

The AP could have the best radio in the industry but it cannot defy basic physics that says a weak wifi signal *from* a phone/tablet cannot be 'heard' by the AP, even if the phone can 'hear' the AP perfectly well.

I can guarantee a single OpenMesh would not penetrate better at 5ghz in my environment than multiple APs, due to the physical wall construction.

• Like 1

LoneWolf

Snapper,

That's correct.  You may also already know this, but the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR is claimed to have been designed in large part to mitigate this issue.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

Edited by LoneWolf