RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
LoneWolf

My New Acquisition - Ubiquti UAP-AC-PRO

LoneWolf

The lead time for getting one of these has hovered around a month as of late --the AC-LITE and AC-LR models are pretty much instant, but the PRO model is in high demand, probably due to two reasons:

-Supports 802.3af standards-based PoE instead of requiring the included injector (though it does include an injector)

-Fits on the same mount as the older UAP-PRO, meaning a business can swap out their WAPs without any changes.

I probably won't get it configured until the weekend (I have to upgrade my server first), but I'm looking forward to replacing my ASUS RT-AC87R router.  It's only been serving WAP duty for the past six months, since I now have a WatchGuard firewall at the head-end.  At $141 + shipping, I think the price is quite reasonable for a dual-frequency 3 x 3 802.11ac WAP.

3-Front-of-the-Box.png

5-Back-of-the-Box.png

Edited by LoneWolf

pcdoc

Nice, let us know how you like it after using it awhile.

itGeeks

The lead time for getting one of these has hovered around a month as of late --the AC-LITE and AC-LR models are pretty much instant, but the PRO model is in high demand, probably due to two reasons:

-Supports 802.3af standards-based PoE instead of requiring the included injector (though it does include an injector)

-Fits on the same mount as the older UAP-PRO, meaning a business can swap out their WAPs without any changes.

I probably won't get it configured until the weekend (I have to upgrade my server first), but I'm looking forward to replacing my ASUS RT-AC87R router.  It's only been serving WAP duty for the past six months, since I now have a WatchGuard firewall at the head-end.  At $141 + shipping, I think the price is quite reasonable for a dual-frequency 3 x 3 802.11ac WAP.

3-Front-of-the-Box.png

5-Back-of-the-Box.png

Congrats! Yes please let us know how it performs. What model WatchGuard do you have? How does it perform?

rotor

These things are incredible. I've had two of them for a couple of months, and I couldn't be happier with them. They are rock solid stable, signal strength is amazing (much stronger than the Airport Extreme AC I replaced). And I love the GUI (running off a VM).

pcdoc

Glad to hear that they have improved their products. My experience with the prior generation was not good. It nice to have choices of good products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itGeeks

Glad to hear that they have improved their products. My experience with the prior generation was not good. It nice to have choices of good products.

I am with you, I tried them once and I said never again. Very happy with my Open-Mesh but as you say its nice to have choices.

LoneWolf

Congrats! Yes please let us know how it performs. What model WatchGuard do you have? How does it perform?

I went from an XTM 25-W to a T30-w.  As I have my WCSP (WatchGuard Certified Systems Professional) cert, you get a special purchase price including three years of UTM. 

The T30-W has only been out several months, and performce nicely.  It improves over the previous XTM-2 series by adding a PoE port, two USBs, a more powerful processor, and 802.11ac wireless.  It removes the external antennas, but since it no longer has a metal case, our Watchguard regional engineer has said WiFi performance has about doubled.  My one beef is that its wireless isn't simultaneous dual-frequency; you can have 2.4 or 5GHz, but not both, unless you use it as a wireless controller for a Watchguard access point (note: those are pretty much the same hardware as your OpenMesh points but with Watchguard custom firmware).  Currently, I have Dynamic DNS set up through no-ip.com (after DynDNS got outrageously expensive and I dropped them) and am running my SSL VPN via one of the domains.

I plan to set the Ubiquiti up this weekend; I want to migrate to my new server first, as I may spin up a small Linux VM to run the Unifi controller software.  I'm looking to create two VLANs (on the Watchguard and my two switches); one for public/guest access, and one for private/LAN access, and do guest and private SSIDs.

alex1002

Please provide an honest review. I had the N ubiquity and they are horrible access points.

LoneWolf

I've seen them do good, and I've seen them do less than.  It tends to depend on the individual product.

Some of their point-to-point gear works very well for the price if you have reasonable expectations.  But I also know that good WAPs tend to cost money; I wouldn't go lower than the UAP-AC-LR myself.

I'm always up front when I review, Alex.  Which Ubiquiti N point did you have?  Most people who had the UAP-PRO N models have been happy from what I've read, but the cheap ones are another story, and there's a number of people who bought cheap, and hoped for more than they were getting.

And Ubiquiti has sometimes over-promised on features they didn't have ready yet; I'm aware of it.

itGeeks

I've seen them do good, and I've seen them do less than.  It tends to depend on the individual product.

Some of their point-to-point gear works very well for the price if you have reasonable expectations.  But I also know that good WAPs tend to cost money; I wouldn't go lower than the UAP-AC-LR myself.

I'm always up front when I review, Alex.  Which Ubiquiti N point did you have?  Most people who had the UAP-PRO N models have been happy from what I've read, but the cheap ones are another story, and there's a number of people who bought cheap, and hoped for more than they were getting.

And Ubiquiti has sometimes over-promised on features they didn't have ready yet; I'm aware of it.

Just wondering have you ever tried Open-Mesh? If not you may want to try the MR1750 and see how it compares to Ubiquiti

Please provide an honest review. I had the N ubiquity and they are horrible access points.

I am with you, Tried 3 N units and was not impressed sent them back an now I use Open-Mesh and never looked back.