RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
ajac63

Can I use one big drive as a RAID

ajac63

Can I partition a large drive into multiple logical drives and set that up as a RAID instead of having multiple smaller capacity drives?  I know of course that Windows allows you to divide-up a drive this way, but no idea if you can have that as a RAID system.  That's basically it.

itGeeks

Can I partition a large drive into multiple logical drives and set that up as a RAID instead of having multiple smaller capacity drives?  I know of course that Windows allows you to divide-up a drive this way, but no idea if you can have that as a RAID system.  That's basically it.

What are you trying to do? As jmwills said the minimum for RAID is 2 disks and that's for RAID 1, RAID 5 you would need minimum 3 disks, RAID 6 you need minimum 4 drives

http://www.icc-usa.com/raid-calculator.html

Edited by itGeeks

ajac63

Ummm, no.  That's the short answer.  RAID require a minimum of two (2) disks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels

Okay, thanks for honest answer.  I was suspecting it was No also, but...

What are you trying to do? As jmwills said the minimum for RAID is 2 disks and that's for RAID 1, RAID 5 you would need minimum 3 disks, RAID 6 you need minimum 4 drives

http://www.icc-usa.com/raid-calculator.html

What do you mean, what am I trying to do?  I simply thought I could partition a large capacity drive into smaller logical drives and set that up as a RAID system, that's why I asked. OK?

Homer-S

The question is very good. What is your purpose?

speed increase? how should that work? If you have a 4 stroke engine and devide it into two 2strokers ... you increase fricion and weight .. so it will be slower

security increase? let's look again on an engine if one of the 4 strokes is dead the engine itself is broken same with a HDD

If you maybe consider telling us what to achive? We could help you better.

Dave

What do you mean, what am I trying to do?  I simply thought I could partition a large capacity drive into smaller logical drives and set that up as a RAID system, that's why I asked. OK?

Don't take offense!  I don't think he was being condescending just asking what the "end goal" is and maybe he can suggest a different route.  I would trust both of these two with alternative suggestions to my setups. 

ajac63

Don't take offense!  I don't think he was being condescending just asking what the "end goal" is and maybe he can suggest a different route.  I would trust both of these two with alternative suggestions to my setups. 

I wasn't taking offense.  In any case, one drive couldn't be a true RAID setup as it's just one, but I was just curious if you could do it anyway.  

ajac63

The question is very good. What is your purpose?

speed increase? how should that work? If you have a 4 stroke engine and devide it into two 2strokers ... you increase fricion and weight .. so it will be slower

security increase? let's look again on an engine if one of the 4 strokes is dead the engine itself is broken same with a HDD

If you maybe consider telling us what to achive? We could help you better.

I know one drive can't be a true RAID setup, I was just curious if it could be done in theory.  I think what I want is a simple second-drive for commonly shared data that is automatically backed-up to an external backup drive.  RAID 0 seems unsafe, RAID 5 is safer but you seem to lose some capacity going by clips on YT and elsewhere that I've watched.

Edited by ajac63

jmwills

You could backup the volume from one to another but if the drive were to fail, then everything is lost.  In theory kind of like RAID 0 but it is not RAID.

• Like 1

itGeeks

First I want to say as HSS-Dave said I am not being "condescending", You joined this forum on March 20th 2016 and many of use have tried to help you with both your post. I even offered free help to you over the phone if you needed. This is a great community and not one you come across every day. There are some really crappy/rude communities out there and this is not one of them. The HSS forums have some of the best combined knowledge on the web, I bet you would be hard pressed not to get an answer to your problem on this forum. Many of us go to great lengths to help each other and its all FREE. The point to me writing you is please don't get offensive by the questions we ask there is a reason y we are asking and we all have our own style when it comes to trying to help. There is no question to dumb/stupid to ask.

​Again welcome to the forums! and I hope with the help of this great community you get your questions/problems sorted out.

Edited by itGeeks
  • Like 1