RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Chrome Browser no longer auto launches the keyboard in Surface Tablet

Al_Borges

I  posted this on the surface geeks forums last week but there doesn't seem to be much activity 

I recall a high proportion of surface tablets during the meetup so I thought I repost here

Yesterday,    the Chrome Browser on my Surface 3  stopped autolaunching the touch keyboard.

frustrating -   loaded / reloaded Chrome -   didnt help   

Reset the Surface 3 -  same issue

called Microsoft support  -   no help.

Today, on Thrurrott.com,  one of the comments on  a post mentioned that Google dropped auto launch support in Chrome

is that true ?    Is google trying to screw with surface users ?   the touch keyboard had worked flawlessly since I got the surface 3 back in November

I would rather use the Edge Browser but its a no go without Last Pass and Adblock plus support.  

There is a "touch" extension that sorta works but if you load it into your tablet Chrome it also shows up on all your desktop instances of Chrome !!!!

It hasn't on my Dell Venue 8 Pro for a few months now. So it's not just the Surface, its Google doing this for no reason.

When I upgraded to Windows 10, I lost my Modern/Metro IE (IMO the best tablet browser ever made). But Chrome was a suitable second.

Now it's nearly useless.

I really hope Edge gets a mobile version. There were so many great things about the Modern/Metro version of IE that no browser ever even came close to doing.

Edited by SikSlayer

• 1 month later...

Follow- up

in the last couple of days ,  the "touch" features of the Chrome browser on my Surface 3 started working again -    I checked the update list and I do not believe it was a Microsoft update but a Chrome Browser update.

took me a day or so to find out as I had been using the on screen keyboard.  

Dont know if others have experienced this also but try it. 

Looking forward to using Edge -  the  rendering engine is superb for a table form factor and it it fast.   But as good as the guts of it are,  without ad block plus and lastpass its almost unusable for me