RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

add-on NIC's versus 2012r2

folks, I have a g7 microserver which I have populated with a dual pci-e nic and a usb3 pci-e interface. I would like one more nic port. so far I am striking out. I bought a nice startech usb3->gigabit nic but it supports only server 2012 not r2. I tried multiple ways of installing the drivers with no luck. then I saw a nice startech card with 3 usb3 ports and a gigabit nic and again no luck with server 2012r2. the chipset in the usb->nic card is used in a number of similar products with different brand names but the chipset mfg does not have 2012r2 drivers for them to absorb.

anyone have a product in use that can help? it must either use usb3 or fit in a low profile pcie x1 slot...

thanks in advance!

schoondoggy

I am assuming the USB 3.0 PCIe card is in the PCIe x1 slot?

If so, I would pull the Dual port NIC and replace it with a Quad. The NC364t low profile can be had for $48 buy it now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC364T-Quad-Port-Gigabit-PCIe-Server-Adapter-HSTNS-BN26-Low-Profile-/252312731465?hash=item3abf02bf49:g:e0YAAOSwoudW3iS5

or starting at $25 bidding:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-NC364T-Low-Profile-PCI-E-Quad-Port-Gigabit-Server-Adapter-1Gbps-RJ-45-/381575723750?hash=item58d7af7ae6:g:GCoAAOSw2ENW8AX6

The NC364t is an Intel based board. There are no drivers listed in the download section for Server 2012R2, but the card is listed in this 2012R2 HP deployment guide:

http://h20195.www2.hp.com/V2/GetPDF.aspx%2F4AA4-7658ENW.pdf

I have not run 2012R2 on a NC364t. 

right, dual nic uses the larger slot. thanks for suggesting this third option. I wrote this off (evidently prematurely) as not cost effective as intel nics tend to be expensive and I lucked out on the dual I have.

thanks!

schoondoggy

Found this in my search:

NOTE: The following devices do not have driver or software support for Windows Server 2012 R2:
 - Intel® Ethernet Connection I217-V
 - Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-V
 - Intel® 82579V Gigabit Ethernet PHY

Do you know what chip is in the USB 3.0 GbE adapters that did not work under 2012R2 for you?

ax88179. if you dig in the oem drivers they list 2012 but not 2012r2. I forced them in via several approaches but they never init successfully.

Edited by nrf

Thanks for all the information, hopefully it will help someone in their search in the future.

I decided to play around with it again. After uninstalling the driver I was able to get it going with a different usb3 hub :)