RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snapper

Untangle new price

Big Worm

Just wondering y your using Untangle in Bridge mode behind pfSense? To the best of my knowledge there is nothing pfSense can do or at least do better then Untangle. Bridge mode is only good for situations where you have a router that you absolutely can't remove but you want better protection then the router has such as a router provided by your ISP, Bridge mode allows your to add another level of protection without having to double NAT, I have such a router from my ISP but instead if using Untangle in Bridge mode I just hang it off a DMZ and yes its double NAT but I have no problems with it, Some say if your double NAT you may have problems with VPN but again I have no such problems. Unless you have some really good reason I would get rid of pfSense and run Untangle in Router mode.

I like pfSense better as a firewall.  Always have.  It's what I have been running for a while now.  But untangle to me has better Web Filtering then pfSense.  So I run it in Bride Mode to do the UTM side of things.  

itGeeks

I like pfSense better as a firewall.  Always have.  It's what I have been running for a while now.  But untangle to me has better Web Filtering then pfSense.  So I run it in Bride Mode to do the UTM side of things.  

Thanks for the update. I tried pfSense a few years ago and I did not like it at all, Untangle to me is much easier to manage and get up and running and it has a much cleaner interface then pfSense. I guess its kind of Ford vs Chevy :)

Edited by itGeeks

Big Worm

Thanks for the update. I tried pfSense a few years ago and I did not like it at all, Untangle to me is much easier to manage and get up and running and it has a much cleaner interface then pfSense. I guess its kind of Ford vs Chevy :)

For sure.  

Although I am really liking this new untangle so curious on how the firewall side of things are.  

itGeeks

For sure.  

Although I am really liking this new untangle so curious on how the firewall side of things are.  

If your already liking the new v12 of Untangle give the firewall a try, Just shutdown pfSense and run Untangle in Gateway mode for a few days and see how it goes. I think you will be as happy as I am with it.

Poppapete

I too have just paid for the licence after running it for 2 weeks as a trial.  Was on Sophos 9 and tried XG but spent too much time tweaking it for all the devices & apps the family are running (Iphones, android phones, netflix, voip & more).  My solution was to buy a commercial grade router that I can easily control ( TL-ER5120 ) and put the UT behind it in bridge mode. I haven't had to touch it in the 2 weeks except to turn off ad blocker when I want to go to some site to buy something via a Google search. Only downside it that the spam filter no longer works for POP and they have no intention of reintroducing it.  Maybe I have to go fully with exchange.  The reports are fully customizable and greatly improved since I last used UT. I admit that I do notice that browsing is a little slower but not enough to affect my productivity I guess that is because I now have a router and an UTM as separate entities. I have Bitdefender on my desktop PC's and am told this is what UT uses as anti virus.  Should I remove Bitdefender from these clients?

itGeeks

I too have just paid for the licence after running it for 2 weeks as a trial.  Was on Sophos 9 and tried XG but spent too much time tweaking it for all the devices & apps the family are running (Iphones, android phones, netflix, voip & more).  My solution was to buy a commercial grade router that I can easily control ( TL-ER5120 ) and put the UT behind it in bridge mode. I haven't had to touch it in the 2 weeks except to turn off ad blocker when I want to go to some site to buy something via a Google search. Only downside it that the spam filter no longer works for POP and they have no intention of reintroducing it.  Maybe I have to go fully with exchange.  The reports are fully customizable and greatly improved since I last used UT. I admit that I do notice that browsing is a little slower but not enough to affect my productivity I guess that is because I now have a router and an UTM as separate entities. I have Bitdefender on my desktop PC's and am told this is what UT uses as anti virus.  Should I remove Bitdefender from these clients?

Thanks for sharing your setup, I am with you 100% on the tweaking time for both Sophos UTM and XG. You are correct Untangle uses Bitdefender but you should always have end-point protection as well, I use the new Sophos Home end-point protection on all my Windows clients, Its free and supports 10 clients per email account and even has a nice management interface, It feels very light on the clients and does not seem to slow them down. Uninstall Bitdefender and see if your system sems to run better then install Sophos and do the same test. Check it out https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx

I am just wondering y you don't just run Untangle in router mode without the added overhead of another router? I find Untangle very easy to setup and its performance has been great.

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

Thanks for sharing your setup, I am with you 100% on the tweaking time for both Sophos UTM and XG. You are correct Untangle uses Bitdefender but you should always have end-point protection as well, I use the new Sophos Home end-point protection on all my Windows clients, Its free and supports 10 clients per email account and even has a nice management interface, It feels very light on the clients and does not seem to slow them down. Uninstall Bitdefender and see if your system sems to run better then install Sophos and do the same test. Check it out https://www.sophos.com/en-us/lp/sophos-home.aspx

I am just wondering y you don't just run Untangle in router mode without the added overhead of another router? I find Untangle very easy to setup and its performance has been great.

I will probably get around to removing my router when I have time.  I did run UT (v9 then 10) as a router for 2 years before sophos for 18 months. It took less than 30 minutes to setup the new UT in bridge mode behind my router. Just Lazy I guess.

itGeeks

I will probably get around to removing my router when I have time.  I did run UT (v9 then 10) as a router for 2 years before sophos for 18 months. It took less than 30 minutes to setup the new UT in bridge mode behind my router. Just Lazy I guess.

Thanks for the update. I know what you mean, I have around 45 devices on my home network all with static IPs and it was a bit time consuming to get Untangle setup but in the end it was all worth it. What I did was use Chrome and bring up each page for Sophos XG and print to PDF then just work of those PDFs to reenter everything in Untangle, It sounds worse then it is. I know some people where running pfSense as there router and Untangle in bridge mode because the reporting was better in pfSense but with the new Untangle v12 I think they have change all that and now in my humble opinion pfSense is less of a need if your running Untangle.

Edited by itGeeks

Poppapete

I know some people where running pfSense as there router and Untangle in bridge mode because the reporting was better in pfSense but with the new Untangle v12 I think they have change all that and now in my humble opinion pfSense is less of a need if your running Untangle.

Yes the famous "Super Router" invented right here by one of our older Geeks if I am not mistaken and which I had going for about 6 months in 2011.  Those were the days my friend.

itGeeks

Yes the famous "Super Router" invented right here by one of our older Geeks if I am not mistaken and which I had going for about 6 months in 2011.  Those were the days my friend.

O yes, I almost forgot about the "Super Router" that was Mike Howard that started all that.