RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snapper

Untangle new price

Poppapete

Reports are definitely improved and totally customizable in V12.0

I picked my ISP specifically because they gave me a fixed external IP, saves a lot of hassles.

psykix

Just a heads up - the OVA does indeed have an issue related to storage size as presented to Untangle.

Finally got them to listen to me and they are looking into it and will let me know when a fixed OVA is pushed.

• Like 1

psykix

The OVA is fixed.

itGeeks

The OVA is fixed.

Thanks for the update, Glad they got you sorted out. Did you every find out if using 'thin provisioning' was OK? I am really liking the new Untangle over Sophos, Its been rock solid.

psykix

Thin provisioning works fine, because it's only thin provisioned to VMware, as far as Untangle is concerned, it has 80GB available.

I agree, I have no need to look back at Sophos now. Untangle with the $5 per month sub really is worth it for the full versions of Antivirus, Web Filter etc.

My needs are fairly simple. I don't even have the Firewall module installed - I only have a couple of port forward rules and the base install can handle that.

Big Worm

Got mine upgraded and signed up for the new monthly price.  Really happy with the upgrade!  UI looks great!  I am using it in Bridge mode behind pfSense.  Love this setup!

texasPI

I'm pleased with it too. I signed up for the new plan as soon as it was announced but have not had much time to configure everything just so. Last night I finally got everything squared away. My pre-teen soon hates it but I'm happy! I had used the free version for a few years but switched over to just using an Asus router earlier this year for the parental controls. Last night I finally figured out how to configure untangle to block internet access to my son's devices based on day and time so no more late night or early morning sneaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason

What role does pfsense play ahead of Untangle? Am running Sophos UTM 9.3. Love it. Hesitant to move to Sophos XG. But is Untangle a viable replacement to Sophos UTM 9?

itGeeks

Got mine upgraded and signed up for the new monthly price.  Really happy with the upgrade!  UI looks great!  I am using it in Bridge mode behind pfSense.  Love this setup!

Just wondering y your using Untangle in Bridge mode behind pfSense? To the best of my knowledge there is nothing pfSense can do or at least do better then Untangle. Bridge mode is only good for situations where you have a router that you absolutely can't remove but you want better protection then the router has such as a router provided by your ISP, Bridge mode allows your to add another level of protection without having to double NAT, I have such a router from my ISP but instead if using Untangle in Bridge mode I just hang it off a DMZ and yes its double NAT but I have no problems with it, Some say if your double NAT you may have problems with VPN but again I have no such problems. Unless you have some really good reason I would get rid of pfSense and run Untangle in Router mode.

itGeeks

What role does pfsense play ahead of Untangle? Am running Sophos UTM 9.3. Love it. Hesitant to move to Sophos XG. But is Untangle a viable replacement to Sophos UTM 9?

Short answer yes, I was running UTM 9 then XG and now Untangle and I am loving it. Everything just works now unlike when I was using Sophos both versions. Spin up a VM with Untangle and give it a try, You have nothing to lose, You can also take there online demo for a spin here http://demo.untangle.com/auth/login?url=/setup/welcome.do&realm=Administrator

With a cost of only 5.00 a Month, 50.00 a Year or 200.00 for 5 years for full protection and support its well worth it to me. The spam filter in Untangle is also working much better for me then Untangle.