RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
snapper

Untangle new price

snapper

Other than the fact that I should possibly have thick provisioned instead of thin, it's smooth sailing :-)

I'm using an IBM 4 port NIC card though, not a USB adapter.

Thanks.

I have deployed a UT VM and had a good play tonight, liked it a lot but I have reverted to UTM9 for now.

Major issue for me is that the IPSec VPN module WAN listen address is set at config time and doesn't follow any WAN address changes.

So if your WAN is DHCP and the IP address changes, UT will inform Dyndns correctly but its useless for VPN because the listen address on the IPSec server is not changed as well.

Their help FAQ even says you need to change manually :(

Can I use IPsec on a server that uses DHCP to get its external address?

It is generally recommended to use IPsec VPN only on Untangle servers configured with static IPs. However, technically it can work with DHCP, but you will need to reconfigure the tunnel whenever the IP address actually changes. On some ISPs this is rare and servers will often have the same IP for months. On other ISPs IPs change daily. 

I'll contact their support to see if there are plans to change this...

itGeeks

Thanks.

I have deployed a UT VM and had a good play tonight, liked it a lot but I have reverted to UTM9 for now.

Major issue for me is that the IPSec VPN module WAN listen address is set at config time and doesn't follow any WAN address changes.

So if your WAN is DHCP and the IP address changes, UT will inform Dyndns correctly but its useless for VPN because the listen address on the IPSec server is not changed as well.

Their help FAQ even says you need to change manually :(

Can I use IPsec on a server that uses DHCP to get its external address?

It is generally recommended to use IPsec VPN only on Untangle servers configured with static IPs. However, technically it can work with DHCP, but you will need to reconfigure the tunnel whenever the IP address actually changes. On some ISPs this is rare and servers will often have the same IP for months. On other ISPs IPs change daily. 

I'll contact their support to see if there are plans to change this...

That seems rather dumb, I would put in a feature request for this.

pcdoc

They definitely improved the interface and the licensing.  I am test driving as well.  Difficult to see that they did much under the hood however as the modules are pretty much the same.  I do agree with many of your comments about it being a better solution than a traditional router especially with the AV.  Not enough there to make me switch back but for someone setting up for the first time it is an easier path.  The filtering is still not as powerful (IMO) but they have made a quantum leap in getting home users attracted with their pricing.  It is nice to have options.

Jason

Seems the long-awaited Sophos XG update should come this month as well as a UTM 9 to XG web config migration or upgrade tool. Sticking to UTM 9 until further notice.

itGeeks

Seems the long-awaited Sophos XG update should come this month as well as a UTM 9 to XG web config migration or upgrade tool. Sticking to UTM 9 until further notice.

From what I understand the next update for XG touted v16 will be out soon but in beta form not RC. https://community.sophos.com/products/xg-firewall/f/46/t/75947

And I am not feeling hopeful that things the home user needs such as fixing the streaming services to work like Netflix will be fixed, Hope I am wrong. Sophos is very proud to keep saying things like Sophos is not for home users & We don't cater to home users. Bottom line is yes they offer a free license for home use but that's basically for testing to see if you wan't to use it in a commercial setting paying the big bucks, This is how I see it anyway. I myself have now moved on and I am now trying the new Untangle v12 and i must say from using Untangle before I am pretty impressed, The dashboard is much like Sophos and looks really nice and the best part Untangle does not seem to brake things like Sophos did. I am still testing it though but if my testing keeps going this well then I will pay the 50.00 for the year and not look back. I have not enabled IPS yet but will do that soon. I am personally over Sophos at this point, I really did have a love/hate relationship with it.

itGeeks

They definitely improved the interface and the licensing.  I am test driving as well.  Difficult to see that they did much under the hood however as the modules are pretty much the same.  I do agree with many of your comments about it being a better solution than a traditional router especially with the AV.  Not enough there to make me switch back but for someone setting up for the first time it is an easier path.  The filtering is still not as powerful (IMO) but they have made a quantum leap in getting home users attracted with their pricing.  It is nice to have options.

pcdoc -- I agree with you with most of what your saying but I don't think this is only a good option for a new home setup, I believe this is a better option for all home setups over Sophos. Don't get me wrong I really liked Sophos and if I was using it in a commercial setting I think I would be in 100% but for home use not so much. As far as Untangle changes under the hood its using a new updated Kernel and Untangle is saying it runs faster and from my testing it seems it does from my memory of how the old version I was running did.

Jason

Have yet to find something that compares to latest Sophos UTM 9.3, but have never tried any interaction of Untangle. Are they both UTMs generally offering same functionality? IPs, QoS, OpenVPN, etc?

pcdoc

pcdoc -- I agree with you with most of what your saying but I don't think this is only a good option for a new home setup, I believe this is a better option for all home setups over Sophos. Don't get me wrong I really liked Sophos and if I was using it in a commercial setting I think I would be in 100% but for home use not so much. As far as Untangle changes under the hood its using a new updated Kernel and Untangle is saying it runs faster and from my testing it seems it does from my memory of how the old version I was running did.

I guess I should have stated it better, but what I actually meant was if you are a new user to this type of product you should start with untangle due to its simpler interface, and not implying it is only for new users.  As for the changes under the hood, I look forward to someone testing to see if the web filtering and application filtering in Untangle is on par with XG.  Don't get me wrong, the new Untangle is a great product and blows away just about every store bought router solution out there.  You cant go wrong using it but at the end of the day, each of us has a different objective when deploying a solution like this, and for me the main purpose was the filtering/blocking so I do not get hammered like I did last year.  In my limited knowledge of both, I just found XG to block more than Untangle did but it certainly could be in how I set them up.  I am no expert in either but only comparing my what I saw.  When it comes down to it, ease of use does make a difference as no matter how powerful something is, it does not help you if you cant make it work.  Both are great solutions and both are better than pFsense (IMO) and ultimately it will boil down to personal preference but for me, I will stick with XG for now because of content/application filtering.

Poppapete

I have installed V12.0 in bridge mode after a TP-Link TL-ER5120.  I had to give a new registration email to get the 14 day free trial of all the apps. Set up the default ones and added the ad blocker (really sick of all the adds on the net these days). Will gradually add devices behind it over the next 2 weeks and if happy will start paying the monthly fee. $5/month, $50/year or $200/5 years ($3.33/month).

The Dashboard has changed and you can get different skins but as pcdoc says it hasn't changed much under the hood as far as I can tell. There is a page with all devices listed which updates when you add a device.

psykix

I guess I should have stated it better, but what I actually meant was if you are a new user to this type of product you should start with untangle due to its simpler interface, and not implying it is only for new users.  As for the changes under the hood, I look forward to someone testing to see if the web filtering and application filtering in Untangle is on par with XG.  Don't get me wrong, the new Untangle is a great product and blows away just about every store bought router solution out there.  You cant go wrong using it but at the end of the day, each of us has a different objective when deploying a solution like this, and for me the main purpose was the filtering/blocking so I do not get hammered like I did last year.  In my limited knowledge of both, I just found XG to block more than Untangle did but it certainly could be in how I set them up.  I am no expert in either but only comparing my what I saw.  When it comes down to it, ease of use does make a difference as no matter how powerful something is, it does not help you if you cant make it work.  Both are great solutions and both are better than pFsense (IMO) and ultimately it will boil down to personal preference but for me, I will stick with XG for now because of content/application filtering.

Untangle has an application control app.