RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Updating Add-Ins

mosh00

This weekend I started my first round of Add-In updates (Grid Junction, Keep Vault, AdminiMe, and Time Traveler). This is the first time I have updated already installed Add-Ins. This might be a newbee question, but what is the best method for updating?

Do I need to uninstall the existing Add-In first, and then place the new msi in the Add-In folder? I noticed that with Grid Junction and Keep Vault that when I placed the msi in the folder, the WHS told me there was an add-in to install, but nothing displayed in the Available tab. I went and uninstalled then reinstalled the Add-Ins. I was concerned that I might lose my setting with Keep Vault, but I see that they were kept. I am now updating AdminiMe. After placing the new msi in the Add-In folder, I see that it is available to install even though I haven't uninstalled the old version. Should I uninstall first? If I don’t, what will happen? I really don’t want to screw things up, so thought it best to ask. :)

So is the correct process to unistall the exiting Add-Ins, then place the new msi's in Add-In folder and install?

Thanks.

My own personal experience has been to uninstall the old add-in, remove the .msi for the old version from the add-in folder, then place the new .msi file in the Add-in folder. Go back in to the console and install the add-in. There have been instances where the old add-in didn't uninstall properly so the new one wasn't recognized. When this occurs there are some manual changes you have to make using RDP to fix the problem.

My own personal experience has been to uninstall the old add-in, remove the .msi for the old version from the add-in folder, then place the new .msi file in the Add-in folder. Go back in to the console and install the add-in. There have been instances where the old add-in didn't uninstall properly so the new one wasn't recognized. When this occurs there are some manual changes you have to make using RDP to fix the problem.

Thanks for the advice!

Do you have add-in central installed? If I remember correctly, that has an upgrade feature built-in.

Do you have add-in central installed? If I remember correctly, that has an upgrade feature built-in.

I had mixed results with add-in central and the upgrade feature.

Guest no-control

Add-In Central also wasn't as smooth as I would like to see. Also need to be aware of the updates I had WHS disk manager and it went from free to mot free. While personally I have a problem with this method (either use a new rev like 2.0 or keep a lite version) it isn't really this issue. Dev's gotta eat right? When it comes to add-ins, I still prefer to just uninstall and remove old from the addins folder then update.

I did just install Add-In Central yesterday, but still did the uninstall then reinstall for all my updated add-ins. For the monitoring part, I like Add-In Central.