RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HSS 297 crashplan discussion

revengineer

I heard the discussion of recent issues with crashplan on server 2012 on HSS 297. I have searched but have not been able to find the referenced post in the forum. Can someone point me to it?

Thank you.

Edited by revengineer

Apparently there is an incompatibility with a recent update (not sure if windows or crashplan update). As a result crashplan is no longer working on 2012. I am not having any issues at this point but wanted to read the details. But I can't find the post they referred to.

Yes, I was curious myself.

The specific issue was with Windows Server 2012 Essentials ONLY. 2012R2 (any) or 2012 Standard and Datacenter are not affected by the issue that was mentioned.

The issue was that Server 2012 in general was affected by a bug that caused issues when the system used a LOT of network connections and kept them open for a long period of  time. 

The problem being that a hotfix was released for 2012 Standard/Datacenter, but NOT Essentials. You can probably find the update, and grab the MSU file for it, but i am pretty sure that you WILL NOT be able to install it. Well mostly (I suspect that you could use DISM to integrate it into the install image, but that requires reinstalling). 

However, this bug was fixed in 2012R2 (all versions), so if you're using 2012R2 Essentials, you're absolutely fine. 

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Cannot_Open_CrashPlan_On_Windows_2012

(I originally found the info here: https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/485625-issue-with-crashplan-pro-service-repeatedly-crashing-on-server-2012-essentials )

It also appears that this issue may not be for the v5 product, or that they've disabled the ability to use it the server OS's. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, Drashna. I googled myself before posting and came across these exact two posts. Looking at the dates of the post, they go back to 2014 and 2015. Since they are not recent, I came to the conclusion that a newer issue popped up. But I simply can't find that post.

Listening to HSS 297 I was also slightly surprised about the negative take on crashplan. This product functions today just as it did four years ago, only the price as increased by $10 in that time. At that time this product was praised quite a bit on the show, which is why I tried it out in the first place. All I can say is that it works well and reliable and does so on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials (not R2) box.

Thanks for the reply, Drashna. I googled myself before posting and came across these exact two posts. Looking at the dates of the post, they go back to 2014 and 2015. Since they are not recent, I came to the conclusion that a newer issue popped up. But I simply can't find that post.

Listening to HSS 297 I was also slightly surprised about the negative take on crashplan. This product functions today just as it did four years ago, only the price as increased by $10 in that time. At that time this product was praised quite a bit on the show, which is why I tried it out in the first place. All I can say is that it works well and reliable and does so on my Windows Server 2012 Essentials (not R2) box.

It's very possible that newer issues popped up.

And it's very possible that the v5 version handles the connections better and avoids the issue with open connections (by essentially, cleaning up after itself better). 

Aside from these issues, I've not seen anything.... other than the reliance on Java...

I am worried that v5 is what causes the problem and the disaster is waiting to happen with the auto update. I am still on v4, which seems to be the last version supported for non R2 server 2012.